All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Orphanage and Orphans of Baldur's Gate (Player/DM IC RP)
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:09 am 
Associate DM

Duster47 wrote:
After touring a group of children around the city with Dorne, Nerys stops at the Temple of Ilmater. She asks to speak with Sister Juna (though probably cannot) and therefore pens a quick message. She leaves it with the ranking person available at the time.

Hidden: show
Sister Juna,

I just finished walking around the walled village with Lion Blade Dorne's group of cubs. I enjoyed getting to learn more about them from their comments and reactions to what Dorne was teaching them. I intend to return to my tribe within the next day or two. I hope you will decide by then if and when some or all of the children I met with can join me. I will gladly talk more with and the children about this.

I look forward to your reply. I am camped near the burnt barn in east farms.

/s/ Nerys, Emissary of the Greyfox Tribe

A message is delivered to Nerys

Quote:
Emissary,

I am happy to inform you that all the children decided to join the tribe and we agreed that they should be given this chance and opportunity to choose this way of life.
Discuss with your tribe when would it be possible for the relocation to happen. Be mindful that security measures need to be taken care off.

I wish for Anne and perhaps Lion Blade, if he is able, to be present during this occurrence. Please arrange all that needs to be arrange and let me know when you wish the children to be ready for the move.

I am glad this initiative comes to such good end. We and the children are grateful for this.

-Sister Juna

"Fear is a mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I'll face my fear. Only I'll remain." - F. Herbert

Remember: It's just a game. No need to get sad, angry or vengeful over it.

Lore of the 1352 Campaign
State of Affairs - 1352 - Year of the Dragon

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:48 am 

DM Arrakeen wrote:
"You have my attention miss Keenan." The older woman nods, waiting for Alexandra to begin her presentation.

The young woman moves to where she can open her notebook and place it upon a nearby flat surface. "I would like to implement a tiered system," she begins. "The number of children that will need instruction surpasses the room that is designated for their tutelage, and I want to keep things as calm and efficient as possible."

She indicates upon the first page of her presentation a sketch that represents three, with the possibility of up to six, distinct groups of children. "My initial thought was to do a quick assessment of their reading and writing skills, but I believe some of the martial instructors have already handled that task. I would like to coordinate with them and divide the children into three to six groups based upon their intellectual propensities, and then I can adjust the challenges in my lessons to accommodate the group with whom I am currently working. The more advanced students can be eased into higher level subjects so that they remain stimulated, while the basic skills can be covered with the students who are still trying to grasp them."

Obviously enthused at the idea, the young woman flashes a smile at Sylvi and then flips to the next set of pages in her tome. There, a series of diagrams that feature the layout of Pathfinder Hall and a jumble of arrows can be noted. "When and if Acolyte Ravel returns from Amn, he and I - along with you, of course - can stagger our lessons so that the children are not sitting in a classroom all day. Ideally, I would like to implement an orderly rotation plan so that while one group is receiving classroom instruction, another group is with their martial instructors, and another group is at leisure - playtime, for all intents and purposes. Working in conjunction with the martial instructors, I believe that the three primary classroom instructors can keep the number of students in each group between six and ten, which I believe will go a long way in keeping order and promoting an individualized learning experience. I do not want one single child to feel as if he or she cannot ask me a question because I am too busy with too many others."

Another set of pages is displayed, and upon them appear to be various lists of possible subjects that the Acolyte of Candlekeep intends to tutor. The list starts simple - basic reading and writing skills - and progresses into philosophy, history, and the arts, although this last category has a notation beside it listing Eldarian Al'maire and Alesea Abbot as guest instructors. A separate list, at the top of which lists Martin Ravel as the tutor, shows mathematics, sciences, and other related topics. "I have here a proposed syllabus and the pace that I would like to maintain, but I will - of course - adjust as needed based on the response of the children. I did not want to take the liberty of composing a list for you, as I am uncertain of your areas of expertise, but I feel confident that a woman of your skill can likely teach all of us a thing or three from each subject." Alexandra good-naturedly chuckles and then respectfully dips her blonde head towards Sylvi.

"I believe that there are some crates of supplies that were delivered by Darius Holding Company, and some of the items are meant for the classroom. May I get those sorted and placed while you review my plans, and then I can return to answer any and all questions that you might have of me?" She threads her fingertips together in front of herself and warmly regards the middle-aged caretaker.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:14 pm 

Peccator wrote:
After another visit or two to the orphanage with a list of names and descriptions provided by Sister Juna in hand, wherein the gentle priestess spends further time speaking and playing with those children selected for the families of Beregost, Alesea sends for a contingent of Templars from the Song of the Morning to accompany the gaggle of little ones, herself, and Alicia the assigned caretaker to the south. She makes plans to move the children as soon as the Templars arrive so as not to keep the knights from their duties in Beregost for too long.

While they wait for the protective force to move northerly, Alesea speaks quietly with Brother Ameris and Alicia.

"I've planned a welcoming picnic in the fields outside the temple for the children when they arrive in Beregost," she confides. "They'll be able to rest and eat and play a bit in the fresh air while I go about introducing each one to their new family quietly. I thought perhaps a comfortable setting such as this might help the transition."

kleomenes wrote:
Ameris would smile at the suggestion of a picnic. "I think softening the blow of such a long move with something hopeful would be a fine idea. Perhaps some entertainment for the children would be wise once they arrive? Some game, or some spectacle for them to see?"

Mindful of Sister Juna's mandate, he continues.

"With the guards present in Pathfinder's Hall I can likely travel south to provide some continuity during the journey, and assist you in running the picnic. Even if such is outwith my usual skills! Perhaps we can show ways in which the Ilmatari, who they are used to, and those of Lathander, are similar, and on friendly terms; so that the differences do not seem daunting to them."

Ameris would offer to assist with any preparations although his time is likely limited due to duties in the temple proper.

DM Arrakeen wrote:
Alicia with a little bit of help from other caretakers would start careful preparations for the move. Mostly packing what is needed during childcare of the smallest of children.

Miss Anne would approach Alesea at some point with a question

"Priestess, have you thought about a proper means of travel yet? I think a carriage or two would be needed. Any idea where we could find one? And I believe that Lion Blade Dorne would also want to accompany you. He would be as good a guard as the templars."

Peccator wrote:
Alesea dips her head to Anne. "I have discussed a route with Knight-Commander Al'maire via ferry from Baldur's Gate Harbor to the coast. We are arranging to have a wagon ready at the shoreline to take the children the rest of the way to Beregost via the Trade Way."

"Brother Dorne is also very welcome to come along; he is soon to be a Templar of the Song of the Morning himself."
The priestess smiles.

DM Arrakeen wrote:
Anne smiles at Alesea's words "Well thought. A ferry ride is definitely a mean to save up some time. Let us now when your arrangements are all done and you are ready for the move. Mercy's bless." Young Ilmatari dips her head and returns to her duties.

Peccator wrote:
Alesea smiles sweetly with a bob of her head. "The Light of the Morn," she wishes in return.

She seeks Ameris out to thank him for his pledge of company along the way, assuring him that some manner of diversion will be provided upon arrival, even if it's just a group of junior clergy singing joyous hymns. Alesea assists in the gathering of the children's things and gently keeping their spirits buoyant as she awaits word of the Templar's arrival.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:59 pm 

DM Arrakeen wrote:
Guards greet Berea and show her into a hallway where she is instructed to wait for one of the caretakers to take her to Sister Juna.

Soon enough miss Anne shows up, greeting Berea with a bright smile and a polite curtsy.
"Morning miss, guards informed me that there is someone wishing to speak with Revered Sister? May I kindly ask what is this about?"

"Indeed," the druid offers by way of reply. She gives Miss Anne the flicker of a fleeting smile and an inclination of the head. "I am Berea Merriman. I've been corresponding with Sister Juna regarding adoption and she bade me visit the orphanage to speak to the children about the ways of Nature and the practices of druids."

DM Arrakeen wrote:
Anne blinks when understanding hits her then smiles again, ushering Berea towards one of the corridors "Oh, I'm sorry druidess Merriman. I didn't know it was you. Welcome to the Orphanage. I'm Anne. Come, come. Please, this way. Revered sister is busy now but if you wait here" Young woman appears a little flustered for a moment "I'll assemble a group of our older children that have shown some interest, talents or have more nature orientated background for you to speak to." Anne offers an apologetic, shy smile. "It may take about an hour. Would you like a cup of chamomile tea while you wait?"

"I would, and I thank you." The copper-haired woman replies with a further dip of her head in thanks, meanwhile withdrawing an errant leaf from her wild locks. "And I have little constraint to my time here, I daresay I can bide the wait until your return with the children. Think nothing of it, pray." She twirls the leaf between her fingers as another passing smile flits upon her sun-kissed features.

DM Arrakeen wrote:
Anne nods and retreats. A quarter of an hour later a girl in her teens brings Berea a pot of tea, a cup with a slightly chipped edge and a piece of honey cake."Hello miss, tea for you. I'm sorry the cup is chipped, I couldn't find a better one." The child curtseys and leaves.

A quiet chuckle sounds from the woman as she accepts the refreshment from the teenaged girl. "I thank you nevertheless," she replies with vaguely quirking lips.

DM Arrakeen wrote:
It would be about an hour when Anne finally comes back"I'm sorry it took so long but we are ready. I gathered some of the kids in the playroom, come this way, please."Young Ilmatari leads Berea to a medium size room where a group of children has been assembled. From the looks of it, the youngest would be no less than 12 years old and the oldest around 17. There are seated on the floor watching Berea with some curiosity. "Hello druidess Merriman" A dozen of voices greets the copper-haired woman.

Berea rises from her seat graciously, making a dismissive gesture at the apology and following Anne to the appointed room. She moves to stand before the little gathering, her amusement at the coordinated greeting dancing in a muted fashion within her intelligent gray gaze.

"Hello indeed," she greets back. She flashes the children a flickering smile and moves to join them all upon the floor. She sits with an upright spine and peers at each child for a moment or two in perfect quiet.

"I suppose I could start by rattling on about Norheim and the Gods of Nature and the like...but first, perhaps, I can answer questions that any of you might have for me?"

DM Arrakeen wrote:
Kids look between themselves and soon Berea can find herself slightly bombarded with different kinds of questions...

"Can druids eat meat?"
"If I became a druid would mosquitos leave me alone?"
"Do animals ever get angry with druids?"
"Is it true that druids have to hug trees?"
"Can I be a druid if I don't like some animals but like others?"
"Do you have to study books and stuff to be a druid? I don't like reading..."
"Can druids really speak with animals?"
"Is it true that druid can become any animal?"
"What if druid steps on a flower and it dies? Will druid be punished by gods?"

Anne steps in at some point
"Oi you all, don't get so ahead of yourself. Let the druidess reply first. Be mindful of our guest."

"I daresay!" The druidess chuckles quietly. She seems to have kept a good record of the questions assailing her, however, and answers easily; addressing each child in turn who asked a specific question.

"Druids may indeed eat meat; we believe that nature is provided by the gods to be utilized in responsible ways. We hunt, and fish, and eat meat and use furs to keep ourselves warm...but we never do so in excess or with cruelty. We take what is needed with the respect due to the creatures we must slay to nourish and protect ourselves."

"Mosquitoes!" Her lips quirk in quiet mirth. "Well, to be entirely truthful the Northern Moonshaes don't see many such insects at all. But druids know the ways of plants and herbs to take preventative measures against their bites."

DM Arrakeen wrote:
Some of the kids nod vigorously in reply to Berea's words. Visibly content with her answer.

"Animals can indeed get angry - with anyone. A very mindful druid may soothe the fears of an angry beast, but they must know how to behave in ways that will not make the fears worse. Oftentimes angry creatures may attack regardless, and a mindful druid might also have blessings prepared to Hold such animals in place temporarily while vacating the creature's territory."

DM Arrakeen wrote:
Frowns and thoughtful expressions can be noted among the group.

"Now, hugging trees is a very odd notion that folks have come up with regarding druids and rangers...but there is perhaps some truth to it. Sometimes we who follow the god Silvanus sometimes lie in prayer at a tree's roots overnight. Perhaps it looks a bit like hugging..."

DM Arrakeen wrote:
Wholehearted and amused chuckles meet Berea's response.

"One may still be a druid if you prefer some animals and not others. It is the respect for all creatures that one must have, no matter how much you like a given creature. One must know that each has a place in the cycle of nature that should not be disturbed unless needful."

Berea continues to chuckle quietly. "And it is fortunate for you that most druidic history and practice is handed down orally; though there are also tomes of each god's teachings."

DM Arrakeen wrote:
The child sighs in relief smiling sheepishly to the druidess.

She regards the next child seriously. "The thought that druids can speak with animals is actually quite false. Animals do not speak, but rather communicate with one another by empathetic means...body language, sounds. A skilled druid can emulate an animal's demeanor in this way to communicate emotions and rudimentary thoughts, though." She pauses. "Though there is a blessing we use, sometimes, that Awakens the creature that is closest bound to us." Her gray eyes dance with a secretive mirth before she moves on.

DM Arrakeen wrote:
An understanding of sorts, mixed with a touch of disappointment shows in eye's of the child.

"It is true," she leans in conspirationally, "that druids who have practiced it can adopt many different natural forms. Animals. Plants. Other people entirely...dragons." She shows her teeth in a flashing grin. "Though a wise druid also knows the limitations of such things."

DM Arrakeen wrote:
Wide-eyed gaze full of awe meets Berea after her response.

"Druids are not punished for treading the grasses or flowers, but our steps become attuned to walking the wilds softly and it's not usually a problem. Think of it this way - do not bears and any other number of creatures do they same? Though if harm befalls a growing thing by your hand, it is always a proper idea to sow more seeds and see to regrowth."

She settles back, glancing around once more before her eyes fall upon Miss Anne the moderator.

DM Arrakeen wrote:
The young caretaker looks among gathered youngsters giving them a little bit more time for hushed, whispered exchanges. Once the kids' curiosity is satisfied she looks to Berea with a warm smile. "I think it would be it for now. Please, miss Merriman, continue."

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:38 pm 

Shortly after she departs from the Temple of Ilmater, Alexandra Keenan arrives at the orphanage. The young woman steps into the building and kindly smiles at one of the nearby guards. "Do pardon," she says as she slowly approaches. "I have with me a letter from Miss Sylvi to Revered Sister Juna. With whom may I leave it so that she receives it?"

(( Additional forum post references: Here & Here ))

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:31 am 
Associate DM

TarnishedSoul wrote:
Shortly after she departs from the Temple of Ilmater, Alexandra Keenan arrives at the orphanage. The young woman steps into the building and kindly smiles at one of the nearby guards. "Do pardon," she says as she slowly approaches. "I have with me a letter from Miss Sylvi to Revered Sister Juna. With whom may I leave it so that she receives it?"

(( Additional forum post references: Here & Here ))

DM Arrakeen wrote:
A tall and bulky man turns his attention to the young woman and greets her with a respectful dip of his head. Symbol of the Radian Heart adorns his armor's chest piece glistening softly. "Morning miss. You may leave the letter with me. I'll make sure it reaches Revered Sister's hands as soon as possible. Thank you for taking the effort to deliver it." The guard flashes Alexandra a gentle smile.

"Fear is a mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I'll face my fear. Only I'll remain." - F. Herbert

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:41 am 

DM Arrakeen wrote:
A tall and bulky man turns his attention to the young woman and greets her with a respectful dip of his head. Symbol of the Radiant Heart adorns his armor's chest piece glistening softly. "Morning miss. You may leave the letter with me. I'll make sure it reaches Revered Sister's hands as soon as possible. Thank you for taking the effort to deliver it." The guard flashes Alexandra a gentle smile.

"Gratitude," Alexandra warmly responds to the guardsman as she offers him the missive. The young woman then casts a quick, curious glance at the building before she takes her leave of it.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:09 am 

Berea dips a nod to Miss Anne before turning her stormy-colored gaze to the children again. She speaks a bit more seriously.

"To be a druid is to learn the ways of nature, and balance, and what each of the gods would have of his or her followers. There is much learning to be done, and great responsibility that comes with dedicating your life so. There will be oaths to take and things to fight for: things to protect with your life. But if you come to believe in the necessity of these things with all your being, it will be a contented life. You will know things of grand importance. You will befriend beings you've likely not encountered before. It is a worthy life."

She pauses. "Perhaps a little history lesson about Norheim would be in order...?"

DM Arrakeen wrote:
The caretaker smiles at Berea's suggestion while the kids express enthusiastically in a perfect unison "Yes, miss druidess! Please, tell us more." Looks of curiosity, and focus present themselves on all the faces turned towards the copper-haired woman.

"Norheim is one of the northernmost isles of the Moonshae Isles. These lay to the west of the Sword Coast in the Sea of Swords. It's a beautiful place; cool and green and mountainous, though the sea is never far."

"The Moonshaes themselves are home to the Ffolk - the native people of the isles. A very long time ago, a group of people called Northlanders came to conquer the Moonshaes and did manage to take quite a bit of the lands away from the Ffolk. From that point on, the two groups of people have had little love lost between them. The Northlanders do not trust nature-magic and the Ffolk do not trust that the Northlanders will not try to claim more of the isles. However, in recent years, under the High King of the Moonshaes, Tristan Kendrick and his wife, a druidess herself...an easier peace has been earned between the two groups of people. Some more understanding."

"Though Norheim itself...Norheim is almost entirely populated by Northlanders. There is a keep called Hammerstaad wherein one of the regional kings rules. Ffolk are few there, but we are mighty and mostly left to ourselves. Ffolk are dark-haired and dark-eyed. Short."

The druidess details a group of people that look nothing like herself.

"...and very, very mindful of the land."

DM Arrakeen wrote:
One of the older children, a boy, frowns and asks "Easier peace still means that war can happen?"

A girl, about 14 years of age looks to Berea with a pensive look and says "You are a northlander then?"

"Does it snow often there?" A smaller child asks shyly.

"I no seen an island in my life. I be up for a place where no undead can come." A girl in her late teens and a quite rough around the edges appearance remarks with a shrug.

Few other inquisitive question follows. Some more childish than others. Anne shakes her head a little, chuckling at some of the questions but she remains present only in the capacity of a moderator, letting the children ask whatever is on their minds freely.

"War can happen anywhere," Berea answers quietly. "Though I daresay the chance that there will be a concerted Northman uprising again in the Moonshaes' future is rather an unlikely thing."

DM Arrakeen wrote:
"That's good. War is... bad" The boy nods to the druidess in thanks for her answer.

She looks directly at the adolescent girl asking of her heritage. Her expression is open and serious, but not unkind. "My mother is a Northlander. My father was of the Ffolk. A...highly improbable heritage, but not impossible by any stretch." She says in simple terms.

DM Arrakeen wrote:
"So you represent the uneasy peace in a way." Teenage girl's forehead narrows in thought then she turns to the boy that spoke of war. "When nations mingle with every generation war seems less likely. It seems it's a safer place Crane." She shrugs looking back to Berea. "Thank you for being honest miss."

Berea turns a flickering smile to the shy young child. "It does, but none so badly as other places. In the mountains, mostly. But we druids know how to keep ourselves warm - the elements rarely bother us at all."

DM Arrakeen wrote:
"I want to never be cold." The coy child mumbles softly, tugging at his shirt's sleeve.

To the last remark, Berea goes a bit serious. "Undead can be brought forth anywhere," she says. "By vile practitioners of unnatural magicks. But because Northlanders disdain magic of most kinds and because much of the Ffolk revere the gods of nature - who abhor undead - there is a much smaller likelihood of undead coming forth from the Moonshaes than other places. And," she continues significantly, "...since the gods of nature hate undead things so, we of their faith learn to put them down...very well."

DM Arrakeen wrote:
"Yessum. I take me chances with an island. And ways of putting 'em down over this place any time." A sharp, determined nod is given and the gruff, soon-to-be young woman looks intensely at Berea "Will ye have me, ma'am?"

A pair of gray eyes remain intent on the gruff young woman speaking. "I will then." She murmurs appraisingly, after a long moment of study upon the child. "Are there any others?" The Archdruid asks, lifting her voice slightly and looking over the group at large.

DM Arrakeen wrote:
"Think carefully about this children. This is a serious commitment one has to make when devoting his or hers life to serving nature's gods." Anne addresses the group as well "It's a path that you should take very seriously."

Children look among each other bursting into a lively discussion. They cast few glances, here and there, at Berea before going back to the topic at hand. Debate lasts almost a half of a candlemark before the boy, whose name has been mentioned as Crane, gives Berea a long, intense look.
"I'm in if you will have me miss druidess."

The 14 years old, perceptive girl joins him "I can't imagine that there would be a cause more focused on peace than this. I'd like to study this path you speak of. My name is Lydia."

"And me to. I want to speak with animals and care for them and for all plants and never be cold." The younger boy rubs his cheek nervously "I'm Sam"

"Oi, n' me name is Sally" The rough girl adds.

Berea directs her gaze to Miss Anne's words with a sober nod of agreement; she then observes while the children talk amongst themselves. She draws her knees up to her chest patiently, attention lighting on each of the orphans present as they conduct their lively chatter. The smallest hint of a smile graces her serious features as Crane, Lydia, and Sam voice their desire to learn to ways of Nature along with Sally. "Well met then, each. I am heartened to know that you are willing to dedicate yourself to this path."

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:24 am 
Associate DM

DM Arrakeen wrote:
In the last three tendays, two relocations of children have taken place.

The first one involved a move of 30 charges (36 in total) from the core Orphanage building to Pathfinder Hall.

The second one was arranged by Emissary of Greyfox Tribe and successfully led to a relocation of 9 children.
Emissary Nerys of Greyfox Tribe, Telia Santraeger, Lion Blade Dorne and a young ilmatari Anne together with nine kids teleported out of the city farmlands. At the temporary camp new member of the tribe were greeted by chieftain Cynric and other tribesmen. A feast followed after the introductions.

Hidden: show

With another dozen of kids starting apprenticeships or finding employment in various places all around the city the number of charges is slowly going down thanks to various initiatives arranged by people of Baldur's Gate.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:46 am 
BGTSCC Quality Control

A happy scene unfolded in the Temple of Mystra as a new adherent was inducted into the roll of membership. She was inducted with a Magical Sacrifice Ceremony, after which she received a silver, eight-pointed star as an amulet and token of her membership with Mystra's faithful.

Aeili Blesses the Faithful through the Fires of Sacrifice

Mili Receives her Symbol from the High Priestess

The teenage girl, who some would have recognised as being one of the orphans from Pathfinder's Hall, would now be seen to frequent the Temple, coming and going at the beck and call of the two priestesses there. In the evenings she would retire to Lady Neela's residence, and in the mornings she would be seen accompanying Priestess Aeili as she goes about early morning devotional activity and resupplying the Temple's spell components from Halbazzer Drin's shop.

There are probably no doubts that the bright young star would be missed by the other children in Pathfinder's Hall, but Aeili would permit her to visit from time to time to see her friends and share the stories of her new life in the Temple of Magic.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:47 am 
Associate DM

///Updated the midsection of the first post regarding Pathfinder Hall: Mili is no longer in Lions' care.

Delayed update to the lower section of the first post. Added Relocations: To the Greyfox Tribe with the list of the children. ///

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:33 pm 

A small note reaches Berea
Quote:
Archdruidess Merriman,
Children are packed and ready for their travel. In consideration of Sam's age, it would probably be good if you could provide a setting more akin to a family for him. Foster parents or adoptive parents, whatever is possible really.

When you are ready to travel with the soon-to-be druids, please do not hesitate to drop by.

Regards,
Anne

Berea comes back to the orphanage, well-rested after her return from the Moonshaes. She seeks to collect the four would-be druids with an almost-serious countenance that is belied by a soft quirking of her lips. She assures Anne that provisions have been made for Sam - a kinswoman of hers named Cinnia with a young son of her own has agreed to foster the boy until he comes of age.

DM Arrakeen wrote:
Anne expresses her relief and smiles happily to Berea, "I couldn't be happier archdruidess." The young Ilmatari turns to regard a man standing among a group of boys. "Tenner! Please fetch the four that was chosen to travel with miss Merriman," the man nods, leaving the room afterwards. He nods to Berea curtly in passing.

Anne looks back to the copper-haired druidess and is about to say something when an elderly woman enters the room.

"Anne, have you checked..." Juna starts speaking but then she notices Berea and a warm smile is offered, "Archdruidess, welcome. I didn't expect to see you today. Are you here for the children?" Revered sister moves closer to stand next to Anne.

The group of boys, that Tenner left, picks up a ball and runs into the other, bigger room. Soon ruckus, laughing, and loud voices are coming from there. The unmistakable sounds of a game being underway.

"So I am," Berea replies to Sister Juna, offering a respectful inclination of the head to both she and Anne. "All has been readied for them in my homeland; now all that's wanted is to try their physical fortitude with a walk through the roots." There is an element of jest in her otherwise placid tone.

DM Arrakeen wrote:
Juna nods, folding her wrinkled hands together, "that is a good news. It is always exciting for us to see our charges stepping into a new path." Elderly Ilmatari chuckles softly, "It is the best outcome we pray for and a testimony to our work."
Loud laughing and cheering come from the other room and Juna's gaze drifts in that direction. She shakes her head lightly before looking to a nearby caretaker who without a single question seems to have grasped Reverent Sister's intention and moves towards to chaos.

Berea moves her even gaze to Anne. "Where you about to ask me something, Miss Anne?" Her eyes flicker to the noise of the raucous game beginning nearby with a small twitch of her lips.

DM Arrakeen wrote:
Anne sighs, concern showing in her eyes, "I wanted to ask about that plant travel. I had a chance to wind travel with Emissary Nerys and a group of kids. Some of them got sick. Is this kind of travel any easier?"

"Young constitutions should be little affected, I daresay." The druidess replies thoughtfully. "It is very quick; any ill-effects will be but momentary. For some, it is not so disorienting as Teleportation..." She quirks a small smile. "But some find it quite unsteadying indeed. However....momentary discomfort, as I said."

DM Arrakeen wrote:
Anne and Juna exchange looks, then they both nod. At that point, Tenner arrives with a small group of children. All of them have been equipped with two traveling satchels and some snacks. Tenner, yet again, only looks at the copper-haired woman for a fleeting moment, nods and without a word moves in a hurry towards the other room where the volume of commotion hasn't gotten down. There are curiosity, anxiety and excitement mixed and clearly visible in kids' eyes. They greet Juna first then Berea. Some shy waves are offered.

"Oi, We go, right?" Sally looks to the druidess, possibly looking like the one most motivated to leave.

Berea stands erect, her gaze raining down somberly upon the children until she comes to Sam. The young one cracks her mask of possibly put-on seriousness, and she extends a hand to him before addressing Sally with quirking lips. "We go, apprentice," she confirms. "Perhaps Miss Anne or Sister Juna can point us to the nearest large tree?"

DM Arrakeen wrote:
Sam looks to Berea, big-eyed and with flushed cheeks. The boy nods smiles, his smaller, slightly sweaty palm disappears inside woman's hand.

Juna glances over the group, a warm smile shows on her lips,
"Mercy's bless children. May the gods watch over you on this path." The elderly sister offers a warm gesture to every child. Some soft words are spoken to each of the wanna-be druids.

After the goodbyes, Anne joins Berea and leads the group outside through the back exit. Young woman smile brightly and happily, seemingly bursting with excitement. A feeling rather infectious judging from Sally's wide, wolfish green, Crane's surprisingly less gloomy grimace and Lydia's curious gaze.

"Onto the adventure we go." Sam mutters quietly and stumbles slightly trying to match Berea's steps.

Soon the whole group stands in front of the old tree, leaning against the city walls.

"Be good dearies. And learn. Learn a lot so you can serve nature well," Anne waves to them looking to Berea, "Thank you archdruidess." The young ilmatari offers the copper-haired woman a most respectful bow and steps aside, making room for them to travel.

"Thank you, Miss Anne." Berea turns toward the caretaker and offers her half a light smile. "It has been good to meet you; I commend your work highly. Be easy; these four will be in the arms of Nature. The gods provide." She squeezes Sam's hand and places her free hand against the tree.

"You'll all want to hold on to me," she instructs the other three children.

DM Arrakeen wrote:
Anne seems touched by Berea's words. Happy tears dance in her eyes as she looks at the group.

Children come closer to the druidess, grabbing onto her and bracing for the plant travel to take them in. Sam trembles lightly looking very intensely at the tree.

Berea utters an incantation in a tongue likely heretofore unheard by anyone present, without much ado. The bark of the tree she touches seems to envelope her hand, then her arm, and her sun-kissed face as it turns to give a final nod of farewell. The rest of her disappears into the tree, followed by the children who are pulled along by dint of their contact with the druidess. The tree solidifies and stands as a usual tree once more.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:50 am 
Associate DM

DM Arrakeen wrote:
The relocation to Norheim led by Arch-Druidess Merriman a tenday ago made it possible for the Ilmatari to focus their efforts on another initiative.

Finally, another dozen of children either found either employment or apprenticeship in various businesses in the Gate. However, the adoptions of few charges are what really brings happiness to the clergy of the Broken God. Some kids were adopted locally by residents of the city but some found their new homes and families as far as Waterdeep or Athkatla.

As of this day, the overpopulation in the Mercy's Orphanage is no longer a dire problem.

///Update in the first post: Number of charges is now 147. Added the list of children relocated to Norheim.///

Unread postPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:30 pm 
Campaign Coordinator

It is rumored that elven orphans from Baldur's Gate recently successfully resettled in the elven realm of En Dharasha Everae. Those that would visit the elven settlement would find the children quite generally warm and happy with the move and being taken excellent care of by the En Dharasha Everae elves.

Campaign State of Affairs - 1352 - Year of the Dragon

Unread postPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:39 am 
Associate DM

DM Arrakeen wrote:
After the relocation of elven and half-elven children, few successful adoptions and another couple of older kids leaving the Orphanage to start a new life, the current number of charges dropped to 131.

Lately, things have been busy in the Orphanage. Few general staff meetings have taken place and a young Seeker of Candlekeep, Miss Alexandra Keenan, has been present at the two of them. Combined with rumors of some correspondence between Revered Sister Juna and Guide of Candlekeep Laitae Lafreth, one could assume that the famous Knowledge Keepers may have some initiative underway.

///Update in the first post: Number of charges is now 131. Added the list of children relocated to EDE in the lower midsection. Apologies for the delay on this. ///

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next