All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Xela's Journey Home
Unread postPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:38 pm 

Xela crounches on a rooftop, coating an arrowhead with the poisonous oil huld. He looks down at his first target. A chubby man who was not hard to track after asking around. He seemed nervous, like he might have been tipped off. The man turns down an alley attempting to stay in the shadows. Xela nocks his arrow and draws back his bow. He lets the arrow fly, hitting him in the shoulder. The man screams and takes off running, Xela shadows him from up top.

Minutes later, the man's muscles start spazzing. He loses all motor control along with his balance, falls to the ground, then starts thrashing around wildly. Xela lets out a chuckle, seeming to be back in a place he used to be so comfortable, and launches two more arrows into the man. He waits for just a few moments, to make sure the man has stopped moving, before heading back to the orphanage.

Hidden: show

Last edited by AlexBnt on Tue May 10, 2016 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:27 pm 

After they all get back the brothers move to the back room of the orphanage. Only Xela and Murphy cross a name off of the list. Xela looks at it with disapproval, then looks to his brothers.

"Only two targets down so far? I expected each of you to have your first one done already."
"I got mine! Guess how I did it?"
"Let me guess.. You slipped some crowfoot inside of someone's drink." Laoric says, sounding rather bored.
Murphy lets out a huff and doesn't respond.
"If you all hope to see her again you better start working harder. We need to get this done as soon as possible. I do not plan on staying here forever."
"What do you mean you aren't staying here?"
"I do not need to explain myself to you. Do what needs to be done just as I am doing."

A moment of silence passes before Xela gets up and walks outside. Elrik starts to get up to follow him but is stopped by Laoric, who tells him to stay put. Laoric then goes outside with Xela.

"What is the issue?"
"This city.. I don't want to stay here any longer than I have to."
"You don't enjoy killing like you used to?"
"That's the problem. I do like it.. but I don't want to."
"And you think leaving here will change that about you?"
Xela shakes his head "I don't know, but I what I do know is that staying here won't help. I have a new home now.. there is someone I need to be back there for."
"You would leave us knowing what is going on right now?"
"I have time. A ship should be setting sail for me sometime soon. It will still take some time before it gets here."
"I will not stop you from leaving, but I hope you know what you are doing."
"So do I..."

They sit out there for a while longer before heading in and retiring for the night.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:23 pm 

Xela takes out a second target quite similarly to his first. Just like before, he returns to the orphanage afterwards. Each of the brothers mark a name off of the list this time. As they are sitting around, one of the orphans runs inside and exclaims that there is a man outside with a message from Pasha Rezaei. The brothers go outside to see what the man has to say.

"Pasha Rezaei instructed me to inform you that he has been watching your progress, or should he say, lack of. For failure to complete his task in a timely manner I am to deliver this to you from him."

The man tosses a small bag to Ekim, who catches it and looks inside. He pulls out another one of their mother's slender fingers from the bag. At first, he has his calm demeanor as he looks at it. After further inspection of the finger, a flash of anger sweeps over his face.

"She's dead."
"You are sure of this?"
"This finger has clearly been cut from a corpse, not a living person."

The man immediately turns and starts running. Elrik quickly unslings his bow, nocks an arrow, and fires - yelling, cursing, and tearing up all at the same time. His arrow hits the man square in the back. As the man staggers, Elrik nocks another arrow and fires. The man goes down, Elrik shoots him again. He attempts to continue to do so before Xela puts a hand on his arm.

"He.. killed her.." he says, tears now flowing freely down his face.
"We will avenge her or die trying."
"So we were just killing for him for no reason?
"Seems that way.. he probably just had us doing that for his own amusement."
"Noodles, go dump that body in the sewers."
"Yes brudder. Noodles make body go bye bye."

Noodles runs off carrying the dead body as if it was a ragdoll and the rest of them go back inside.

Last edited by AlexBnt on Tue May 10, 2016 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:24 pm 

Later, Xela and Elrik go outside to talk. They move a little bit away from the orphanage but make sure to keep it in their sight.

"I just can't believe it.. I don't want to believe it."
"There is nothing we can do but move forward."
"What do you care. You are leaving us anyway!"
"I am, but that does not mean I do not have time to help finish this. I received a sending earlier, the ship that is on its way for me is only two hundred miles out so far."
"Why do you have to go back anyway? What can be so important for you there?"
"The only woman I have ever felt love for."
"The one who's name you kept calling out for when you were hurt?"
The tips of Xela's ears go red. "Yes, the very same."
"I think you said her name was.."

Elrik's eyes seem to freeze open, his face unmoving.
"Elrik? What is it?"
Elrik's head then drops forward and he starts to fall to the ground. Xela catches him before his face can smash into the concrete. He notices an arrow, still wet with some kind of poison, in his brother's back. Xela looks over at the byway and sees Saboa leering down at him. Before he can do anything he feels a faint pain in his own back. He turns his head to see a man holding a blood covered knife. The man stabs him in the back again and turns to run away.

The pain rushes to him in a wave. Xela collapses to the ground, his eyes locked on his brother's paralyzed face. He notices that Elrik has stopped breathing. Elrik's face starts to turn blue, the last thing that Xela sees before the world goes black.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:16 am 

Murphy looks out right as Xela gets stabbed the second time. He screams for Noodles and rushes out there as fast as his little legs can go. He quickly readies his shortbow and fires a couple shots at the assassin as he flees the scene. One of his arrows hits the man in the thigh, slowing him down. He shoots at the man again and hits him in the shoulder. The assassin, not thinking he can get away, draws his sword. Murphy drops his bow and pulls out his short sword.

The assassin turns and charges at Murphy, sword in one hand and the other arm limp. A sidestep and a quick thrust of his short sword causes the already injured man to lose his balance. The man crashes to the ground. He tries to regain his footing but Murphy is already on top of him. The little (or big, depending on your perspective) half-gnome stabs the man in the back multiple times before running his blade across the assassin's neck. Convinced that the man is sufficiently dead, he runs back to where his brothers lie.

Noodles is already there, looking down at the two bodies and unsure of what to do. He looks up at Murphy with a mix of pain and fury on his face.
"Brudder.. Dey dead.."
"No I will not accept that! They can't be!"
Murphy first looks over Elrik, who has clearly died of asphyxiation. He then looks over Xela, lying there in a pool of his own blood.
"He's.. got a pulse. It's weak but it's still there!"
Murphy quickly bandages up Xela the best he can.
"We need to find somewhere to lay low while he recovers.. Oh! I know just the place. Noodles, carry him and follow me!"

Noodles carefully picks up Xela's limp body and follows Murphy.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 4:25 pm 

Noodles, carrying Xela, follows Murphy into a nondescript building. Upon entering the building, they are greeting by a couple women. They both were wearing very little clothing and seemed to know Murphy quite well. They look at Xela with a frown and ask Murphy if they could be of any help for him.
"We just need one of the rooms upstairs to lay low for a little bit. Could you go ahead and let Madame Zahirah know that I will come to her room shortly?"
One of them hurries off to find Madame Zahirah and the other leads them up to a small private room.

Noodles sets Xela down carefully on the bed. Murphy moves over to Xela and looks over his bandages. He then hands a couple potions of healing to Noodles.
"Do your best to have him drink these. I am going to go have a few words with the matron of this fine establishment to make sure she is fine with us being here."
"Noodles take gud care of Zeela."
"Good. I shouldn't be more than an hour.. maybe two. Make sure you lock the door behind me."

Murphy walks out of the room and hears the door latch behind him. He nods and walks downstairs.

Inside the room, Noodles carefully tilts Xela's head back and slowly pours some of the first healing potion into his mouth. Every once in a while, Noodles gets up and paces around the room muttering.
"Brudder, please no die, please no die."

A couple minutes after Noodles finishes giving him the second potion, Xela opens his eyes a little. He struggles to move his head to look around the room. Seeing Noodles, he speaks.
"Noodles? Where are we?"
Murff know. Noodles not know. Murff say.. Muhdum Za.. Za.."
"Zahirah?" Xela immediately looks worried.
"Yes! Dats da one."
"Noodles.. Go find him now."
"He say stay wit you"
"Now!" he says as forcibly as he can manage to.

Noodles takes one more look at Xela before opening the door. He goes from room to room, opening them up without warning. Many curses are thrown his way as he interrupts the patrons and women of the brothel. He finally gets to Madame Zahirah's room. He slams it open. In the room is Murphy's body tied to the bed. The rope that was clearly used to strangle him is still around his neck.

Noodles starts to walk forward when a bottle crashes against the back of his head. He turns around to see a petite woman standing there. Her face goes from smug to a look of pure terror as Noodles' fist slams into it. He hits her once more as she crumples to the ground. He runs back to the room Xela is in, slamming aside anyone foolish enough to stand in his way.

He gets back to see Xela struggling to put on his armor with one hand and clutching a wand in the other. A dead wench lies on the ground, burnt to a crisp. Noodles helps Xela finish putting on the rest of his armor. He then supports Xela as they slowly try to make their way out of the building. Down the hallway a door opens up. A woman steps out aiming a crossbow at them. Xela quickly aims his wand and releases a small fireball in her direction. They don't waste any time seeing if it hit or not and head down the stairs and into the streets.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 1:25 pm 

Ekim had successfully snuck into Pasha Rezaei's guild house. He figured that he could end things quick and silently, like he was so used to doing. He maneuvered through the dark hallways, keeping to the shadows and out of sight of any eyes. He reaches Pasha Rezaei's personal room. The door was already cracked open so he slips right in. He takes a couple steps forward and looks around. He doesn't see anyone in the room but then the door slams shut behind him. Quickly, he turns around and holds his double-edged dagger out in front of him. Facing him is Qatal lazily holding out his signature scimitar.

"Did you really think you could get in here unnoticed?"
Ekim stares at him and says nothing. He takes a step forward.
"Very well. It will be my pleasure to end your life."

Qatal moves closer to Ekim and swings his scimitar at him. Ekim hops back before it can reach him and slices at Qatal's arm, but misses. Back and forth they go, attacking and dodging each other. Ekim lunges at him with his blade but is blocked by Qatal's. Qatal slides his scimitar along the dagger and into Ekim's hand, cutting off a good part of his thumb. Sensing victory at hand, (pun intended) Qatal pulls his blade back in a wide arc as Ekim's starts to fall to the ground. Ekim quickly catches it with his offhand and leaps forward, driving his dagger straight into his heart.

With Qatal dead, Ekim wraps up his hand and moves over to one of the windows. He tries to open it but it won't budge. He then tries to smash it open which causes a jolt of lightning to shoot out and strike him. The shock was enough to send him flying back and onto his back. Dazed, he sees another figure enter the room.
"Noodles?" he says quietly, before realizing who is actually is.

The half-orc walks closer to him, grinning. A savage looking specimen armed with nothing but some gauntlets that have the knuckles covered in spikes.

Ekim tries to crawl back away from him. Cestys kicks him in the face, sending him back to the ground. The next thing Ekim feels is Cestys' knee pinning him down before he starts slamming him in either side of the head. The half-orc doesn't stop until there is nothing left of Ekim's head but a bloody pulp on the ground.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:16 pm 

Xela and Noodles are halfway back to the orphanage when an arrow flies past them. They turn to see Saboa standing on the byway above them. He nocks another arrow and lets it fly. Noodles pushes Xela aside and takes the hit.
"Brudder, you stay behind Noodles."

As Noodles gets hit with another arrow, Xela aims his wand at Saboa and tries to use it. The wand fizzles, it's energy spent. He growls in anger as he readies his massive longbow. Noodles continues to receive arrows but the majority of them don't penetrate his armor. Xela quickly imbues a fireball spell into an arrow and shoots it in Saboa's direction. The explosion destroys the section of the byway that he is standing on which causes him to tumble to the ground.

Noodles runs towards Saboa swinging his great axe and yelling.
"Noodles chop you! Chop you gud!"

Scared for his life, Saboa starts shooting at him faster than ever. One of his arrows manages to graze the half-orc's neck. Blood starts spurting out but it doesn't slow him down a bit. Saboa tries to back up but his feet get tripped up in the rubble, causing him to fall back into a sitting position. Noodles lifts his axe up high then swings it down at him. Saboa raises up his hands, as if to try and block the axe coming down at him. The axe cuts clean through both hands and splits his head in half, along with some of his torso.

As his adrenaline fades, so does his strength. Noodles slumps down and clutches his neck. Xela rushes over to him as fast as he can and does his best to patch him up. He pulls out his wand of sending and lets Laoric know where they are and that he needs help getting Noodles back. After Laoric lets him know that they are on his way he tries to do a sending with Ekim.

"Why isn't he answering? What in the hells could he be doing right now?"

Only a few minutes (that feel like hours) pass before Laoric, along with Belloras, get to them. Together, Laoric and Xela support Noodles. After a moment of struggling to dislodge the axe, Belloras retrieves it. They head back to the orphanage as fast as they can. The eyes of the many children stare at them as they see their brothers make their way to the back room. Belloras helps Noodles out of his armor and together the brothers move him to a bed. Xela looks over Noodles' injuries more closely now and does what he can to clean them up. He then turns to the other two in the room.

"We need more bandages. Healing potions too."
"I will go get some more."
"Laoric, can you please go with him. Keep him safe."
"Yeah.. Just don't do anything stupid while we are gone."
"I will be right outside keeping watch."
"Alright. We will be back shortly."

Laoric and Belloras head out to buy more healing supplies. Xela starts patrolling around the orphanage, constantly looking down every alley and byway that an enemy could get to them from.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 4:28 pm 

Walking back and forth around the building, Xela begins to grow restless.
"Where are they? They should be back by now."
He pauses and takes a long look in the direction they left. Hearing a slight rustle, he turns around quickly and aims his bow. Immediately he recognizes the man to be one of Rezaei's so he releases an arrow in his direction. The arrow hits him in the face, killing him before he can even scream as the acid starts to eat away his flesh.

Xela notices more figures approaching from multiple directions and moves to cover behind some pillars. Whenever he sees an exposed target he takes a shot at it, usually scoring hits. The overwhelming numbers start to get closer and closer to him. As he aims out to shoot more an arrow flies right by his head. Ducking back behind cover, Xela casts a spell of invisibility on himself. He finds the nearest stairs that lead him onto the byway and ascends them.

Determined to not fail, Xela hurries over to where the archer is. A point blank shot to the back of his head ends the archer's life. Xela takes position on the byway looking down at where he was earlier. The men below are searching where they last saw him to be. Xela imbues another arrow with a fireball spell and launches it at the group. The arrow explodes, killing a few and sending the rest scrambling. Easy targets he thinks to himself. Arrow after arrow rains down at the men below.

Before he can kill the last few an explosion causes him to look over at the orphanage. He sees Kassim in the midst of casting another spell. Xela shoots an arrow but it simply deflects off of him. Flames come out of Kassim's hands, catching the building on fire. Xela continues to shoot at him only for the arrows to keep deflecting. Screams, along with pounding on the windows and doors, can be heard coming from inside.

Hearing the orphans scream for their lives, Noodles wakes up in a panic. He musters all the strength he can and barges out of the room. Ignoring the flames, he charges full speed at the door. He hits the door but it doesn't budge. He charges it again and slams it with all his might but the door still doesn't even move. Frustrated and in pain, he grabs a chair and tries to smash a window open. The chair splinters into pieces, the window stays intact. He continues to try and break the window but the magic sealing it shut is too powerful for him. Eventually, the flames engulf him along with everything and everyone else inside.

Outside, the sounds of screaming finally stop. Pleased with his work, Kassim turns to walk away. The remaining men he came there with long gone, not wanting to test Xela's archery after seeing what happened to the others. Xela continues to shoot at Kassim, too stubborn and enraged to stop. Finally, an arrow gets past Kassim's magic and pierces his shoulder. Kassim can't believe his eyes as he loses motor control of his arm. Realizing the danger he was now in, he takes off running. Xela chases him overhead from the byway. Knowing this section of the city better, Xela makes his way to a spot that he knew Kassim would have to pass underneath. As Kassim rounds the corner, an arrow flies directly into his chest. Then another and another, until his body was riddled with them.

Xela makes his way back to the rubble and ash that was once the orphanage.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 6:14 pm 

Eventually Laoric and Belloras show up. Xela looks at them with anger for just a moment. He then sees that they are both battered and bruised. Belloras is walking with a slight limp. They stop in front of Xela and look at the scene.

"They're all dead." he says bluntly. "I couldn't stop it from happening."
"We tried to get back as soon as possible. We were attacked shortly after leaving the merchants."
"We need to put an end to this."
"How could he just..." Belloras starts to tear up.
Xela looks at him sadly "Laoric and I will kill him. It may not bring our brothers back but we will make sure he gets what he deserves."
"You don't want me to come with you?"
Xela shakes his head "I have something specific I need you to do."
Laoric looks at Xela curiously. Belloras nods and sniffles.
"There is a ship, the Whistling Wanderess, on its way to Memnon right now. It should port in a couple days. I need you to go to Memnon and wait for it. The captain's name is Hoihe Dacino, who is a friend to me."
"What? Why?"
"If we don't make it back alive, you are going to get on that ship and go back with them. You deserve a better life than the one you have had here."
"It is a good plan. I agree with Xela in this."
"Leave immediately. Do not speak to anyone that you don't need to speak to. Do not stop for anything. Go straight there."

Belloras looks at his brothers one at a time and nods. Xela casts a spell of invisibility on Belloras who then sets off to leave the city. Laoric waits a couple minutes after Belloras leaves before walking towards the rubble of the orphanage. He sifts around for a little bit until he finds the charred husk of a body that was Noodles. Negative energy is released from Laoric's hands and into Noodles. The body twitches at first and then it rises. Xela nods in approval and the two of them, along with the animated corpse, head towards Pasha Rezaei's guildhouse.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:08 pm 

They get to the guildhouse and walk right up to the main entrance. Laoric commands the corpse of Noodles to breakdown the door. Noodles starts slamming into it with his fists. A trap gets set off, blasting him back. The corpse makes no indication of being hit and resumes his pounding. Finally, the door starts to splinter. He backs up and then charges forward, breaking right through the door and crushing two guards that were posted on the other side of it.

Laoric and Xela calmly walk in behind Noodles, one stabbing and the other shooting the fallen guards. They make their way down the narrow hallways with Noodles leading. Every so often a guard tries to rush at the undead half-orc. Most score a minor hit or two before getting slammed to the wall and then finished off by one of the other brothers. The three near Pasha Rezaei's chamber when a guard runs up and swings a halberd low at Noodles. One leg is cut clean off at the knee and the halberd lodges itself into the other leg. The man, struggling to get his weapon released, actually pulls Noodles enough towards him to make him fall in his direction. The undead half-orc flails to the ground. He reaches out and grabs the guard's face with one bony hand, the other grabbing the back of his head. The guard screams as his head is crushed.

The two brothers leave the partially dismembered Noodles and enter the chamber. Inside is Pasha Rezaei and Cestys. As Cestys starts walking forward towards them, Rezaei throws a bottle of Alchemist fire in their direction and then runs for cover. It falls short of the mark and explodes between the half-orc and the brothers. Cestys charges through the fire and straight towards Xela. Seeing this, Laoric pushes Xela out of the way and swings his bastard sword at the oncoming orcblood. Cestys catches the blade in his gauntlets and laughs, pulling Laoric within striking distance.

Xela scrambles to find some cover behind a bench. He tries to get a shot off at Cestys, but he sees that it would be too risky with how closely locked together him and Laoric are. He watches as Cestys slams a spiked fist into Laoric's shoulder, puncturing his armor and releasing some blood. Laoric growls in pain and anger. He then feints a swing from the right, which promptly causes Cestys to move his hands to grab again. Laoric instead thrusts his sword forward, stabbing Cestys in the gut. He twists his sword and yanks it free, allowing Cestys' intestines to start spilling out freely. As Cestys leans forward, Laoric lifts his sword up high over his head and then brings it down cleanly through the half-orc's neck.

Rezaei throws another bottle of alchemist fire right as the blade passes through the neck. It slams directly on Laoric, engulfing him in flames for a moment. Rezaei's arm goes up to throw another bottle. Xela shoots an arrow and hits him in the arm, which causes the bottle to drop to the ground and shatter. The explosion destroys the furniture that Rezaei was behind, exposing him. Rezaei scrambles to move but instead gets an arrow through his calf. He howls in pain and Xela shoots him again in the other leg. Xela then runs over to Laoric to check on him. He notices that the burns are superficial at worst, but Laoric is already dead. Xela then looks at the puncture in his shoulder. A foul smelling pus is oozing from it.

Xela walks up to Rezaei, wordlessly, and takes out a small vile of venomwood. He coats an arrow tip with the poison. Rezaei attempts to crawl away but can barely move. With nothing but hatred in his eyes, Xela nocks the arrow and draws back his bowstring. He shoots Rezaei in the same shoulder that Laoric was punctured. He watches for an hour as Rezaei screams in pain. Finally, the poison runs its course and ends his life. Xela finds the rest of Rezaei's bottles of alchemist fire and tosses them at anything flammable as he walks out.

He doesn't look back as he leaves Rezaei's chamber.
He doesn't look back as he leaves the burning guildhouse.
He doesn't look back as he leaves Calimport.