All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Charraj Cain, Wizard and Ex-Investigator
Unread postPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:10 am 
Retired Head DM

No one to talk to. So I'll start a journal.

I've been stuck here for over a tenday now, probably two. Haven't seen the dragon since it first dragged me through the breach.
Despite my lack of direct contact with him, it's clear to me that the dragon is bent on punishing me for the planar breach. Why else lock me in its library for so long? Why else block all of my magic? I can't even
Send a message back home. It's just been reading, reading, reading.
At least I've finally been allowed outside the library. The purple sky is kind of nice, and not entirely unpleasant to read under.

I hope the Tower is doing okay in my absence. Eh, I'm sure it is. I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

Last edited by Charraj on Wed May 06, 2015 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Charraj Cain, Wizard and Ex-Investigator
Unread postPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:00 am 
Retired Head DM

Just got done reading an informative alarming chapter in one of the dragon's books.
. . . If this IS the Astral Sea, does that make me dead?
Will read more.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:31 am 
Retired Head DM

After reading more from the dragon's library, I have concluded that I am not dead.
Not an astral projection either, more's the pity. Always wanted a silver cord. (Where would the silver cord have attached to me, anyways? My head? My back? My butt? Alas, such are the mysteries of life.)
Did the dragon actually bring my material body into the Astral Sea? Hm.
Will read more.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:22 pm 
Retired Head DM

Found a couple of books on planar breaches. Read through half of one book already.
I want to say that my mistake seems obvious, in retrospect. But it doesn't. The depth of my arcane ignorance astounds me more and more with each passing day.
I'm beginning to think that it's a good thing that I'm here.

---

Finally found a passage relevant to my mistake. Reading through it now.

---

Finished reading.
For negligence such as mine, no punishment is too great. I am not fit to speak the Lady's name.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:59 pm 
Retired Head DM

The dragon came to me just now, after I finished reading about planar breaches. It offered to let me repeat my mistake, so that I could try to open another breach to return home.
I refused.
After learning about my mistake, after learning about the chaos and the madness that I came so close to causing, how could I ever knowingly open a planar breach again?
No, I hesitate to even write down my findings, for fear that another wizard might read it one day and abuse the knowledge. But perhaps I should write down cautionary words? I will think on it.
In any case, I would rather spend the rest of my years trapped here than try to go home by the way I came.
After I refused his offer, the dragon left without a word. Frustrating. Who can know what goes on in the mind of a mithral dragon? Certainly not I.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:30 am 
Retired Head DM

"Endless possibilities, if you so desire. Or obligation and guilt, should you choose to return home. Consider carefully, young mageling."
The dragon has lifted the antimagic field, but it is not asking me to recreate a planar breach this time. Rather, the dragon has told me that I am free to go home through any other means at my disposal. I could
Gate home this very minute, if I so wished . . .
But it has also reminded me that I need not return home at all. There are countless other planes that I could go to, a wide cosmos to be experienced.
Why return to the Coast at all?

---

I have made my decision.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:56 pm 

Hi, very new to the server, just reading through character biographys, have to say enjoyed reading your material. Im just trying to get a feel for the ones that are good and whats eventually going to be expected of me as a player.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:27 pm 
Retired Head DM

I can forgive the Dukes for banishing me. I understand why they did that.
But I cannot understand why they are allowing the Red Wizards back onto their lands. Everything everyone knows about the Thayans, every tale, every tome, every treatise, screams that the Red Wizards are inhumanly cruel and evil. And yet now I hear that they are to be tolerated once more.

Absurd.

Jonas is right to leave. I know he only gave his warhorn to me, the despised and banished "Weavemaster," to make a statement to the Dukes. But the thing is, I'll gladly wear it to remind the Dukes of that statement.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:17 am 
Retired Head DM

So, long story short, I followed Thedran's advice and tried to live up to the ideal that Jonas's warhorn represents. Grabbed Nate and his friend Krueger, teleported to where we were needed, and totally saved the day. Not going to lie, the three of us did some paladin-worthy stuff.

Only to find out that the people we saved were out of their minds. I mean, I was looking for an intellect devourer nearby, that's how insane they were being. I can't give details, in case this journal ever falls into someone else's hands. But suffice to say, it became clear that my newfound home wasn't the haven I thought it was.

So I left. And now I'm homeless yet again. Joy.

Stupid warhorn, encouraging me to act like a self-sacrificing paladin. I blame it all on the warhorn.
Actually, I gave the stupid horn away afterwards. Thedran asked me for it yet again, and even offered all the gold he had for it. And here's proof that the warhorn is stupid: I didn't take the gold because I thought about how disappointed Jonas would be that I sold his warhorn for coin. Ridiculous. And I call myself a Calishte merchant.

Maybe now it'll be easier to think about myself, since I won't feel like Jonas is hanging onto my hip and disapproving of my every selfish thought. One can only hope.

So yeah, now I'm broke too. When I could have taken all of Thedran's gold instead.

Oh yeah, and the Guide almost fought me. Thought he was going to kill me. We worked it out in the end, but still.

The next time people rush headlong into horrific danger, I am NOT helping them. So not worth it.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm 
Retired Head DM

I am disturbingly close to being broke. I haven't played the merchant in a while, but I better get back into the swing of it. Bentley's rooms aren't free.

---

Managed to auction off a pair of boots. Had only two bidders, but you only need to two start a bidding war. The gold I'm going to get for the sale should start to put me back on track. (There was technically a third bidder, but he was so dim-witted he barely even counted.)

---

So many travelers and adventurers living in the inn. Seems like they're coming from all over Faerun, and even beyond. All races, all professions, all beliefs.
. . . How do fire genasi sleep? Don't their heads light their pillows on fire? Does Bentley have to change the sheets every time a water genasi sleeps in one of his beds?

---

What am I doing with myself now? Feel so lost.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:01 pm 
Retired Head DM

Ran out of gold and had to leave the Inn.

Ran into Kaltyra again, in the Inn's courtyard, of all places. I dragged her away before anyone noticed her (she had a mask on, thank the gods), but I'm pretty sure an elf at least suspected what she was.

Kaltyra offered to let me stay with her and Kile in a cave that they're using. It's... sparse, but better than nothing. I appreciate the thought. To repay her, I've agreed to go into town and buy supplies for her whenever she needs them.

---

I've started training again. Now that I'm living away from civilization, I'd better be ready to defend myself at any moment.

---

HELLS! Months spent doing chores in Candlekeep have left me rusty and out of practice. The Guide forbidding me from casting magic didn't help, either.
I burned my spellbook during training!
So many pages lost. This is insufferable.

---

Phlydia's shop has been destroyed. Her selection of scrolls is pitiful now.
The mage at High Hedge was able to supply me with many scrolls, but I'm still missing too many spells.
I'm going to try sneaking into Baldur's Gate and visiting Sorcerous Sundries. I'll stay masked and invisible. What's the worst that could happen?

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:08 pm 
Retired Head DM

Ran into a Red Wizard and his Thayan Knight lackey yesterday.
I was with a bard named Ceres, an Ilmateri named Louise, an elf named Silias, and Rhiannon the frost mage. Louise was hurt, and my wards were pretty weak. The Thayans made no move against us, however. I thought they were fooled by my bluff, but come to think of it, the Red Wizard must have seen the weakness of my enchantments. Why didn't they attack?

---

Ran into the same Thayan Knight from yesterday. He made no overt move against me, although he was a total jerk. Even when my wards faded right in front of him, he did not move to harm me. Instead, he said that the Thayans were simply on the Coast to conduct business. He even claimed that they had no slaves in their Enclave.
Yet another opportunity to hurt me, and they didn't take it.
Could they truly be here just for economic gain?

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:49 pm 
Retired Head DM

The drow almost got me a few days ago.

I bought an interesting item at the Friendly Arm Inn's auctioneer a while back; it was some slithering thing in a vial, and it looked neat. Well, I finally got around to opening it, and it jumped onto my arm and crawled under my skin. It was pretty painful, actually.

The people around me wanted to cut off my arms to "help" me, so I bolted. Cleric of Ilmater, yeah right.

Next day, I ran into an elven druid named Andreava who said she could help me. She said the thing under my skin reminded her of drow, or something. Yet further proof that they're after me.

Anyways, we went around, gathering stuff to make a sedative. When I took the sedative, it put me under pretty good. When I woke up, I was in some grove where she lived. And the thing that was in my arm was out.

All's well that ends well, I guess. But seriously, the drow have got to get off my back.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:50 am 
Retired Head DM

Parents formally disowned me today. Krumarth is almost certainly insane. Got Kaltyra angry at me. Terminated my contract with Artuis.
And a Thayan offered me sympathy.
I hope the world doesn't hate me tomorrow.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:12 am 
Retired Head DM

So I patched things up with my family, and have finally moved back home to Neverwinter. I'm even helping with the family business. Been a month now, and things are great.

---

Brilliant. I made the moronic mistake of talking too much about my time in the Baldur's Gate region. Specifically, I mentioned the amount of treasures that can be found there. Boy, did my family latch onto that little tidbit.

Now they've sent me back to the Baldur's Gate area to
1) get more treasure for the business and
2) try to set up a branch here.
Hello, did they forget that I was BANISHED FROM THE GATE? How in the Nines do they want me to set up a branch there?
Next best thing I can do is try to set up a branch in Beregost. Except that Beregost is, you know, a cinder.
Maybe Nashkel . . . ?

Yeah, Nashkel has a great history with trading companies. What could go wrong?