All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Medune Norman
Unread postPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:16 am 

First Name: Medune
Last Name: Norman

Appearance: Scruffy clothes but always clean shaven, his hair tied back and usually under a hat.
Race: Halfling
Height 2ft 10
Weight: 35 lbs (ish)
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Brown
Facial Hair Style: Clean shaven.

Personality Profile:

Shy and reserved, more so amongst a group. Cowardly and fearful when danger is targeted at him but courageous when defending his friends and loyal to a fault. Gullible and often presents himself as dim-witted but can be wise and knowledgeable on few subjects.

General Health: Physical health is fine, not very strong but hardy. Mental health isn't very stable but he has it mostly under control
Deity: Cyrrollalee
Initial Alignment: True good
Profession: former surgeon
Base Class & Proposed Development: Ranger at the moment, may tinker into rogue.
Habits/Hobbies: as a habit gets peoples names even his own wrong frequently, likes shopping for hats.
Languages: Halfling and Common possibly Elven
Weapon of Choice: anything small and sturdy, currently uses a short sword or a Short bow.

Background:
Travelled with a group of halflings roaming from town to town living the nomadic lifestyle met them through his wife who he encountered at a young age, they got married while she was pregnant with his daughter. While the group had good fortune they lacked a priest or priestess in their group however many of the members had multiple talents, Medune's talents covered being a hunter, a vet and a doctor who was dabbling into surgery.

Medune was never fully integrated into the community was often considered to be an outsider, while he got along with most members of the community. The group travelled through a city that had areas quarantined due to plague and disease. The quarantine was unknowingly breached, symptoms of the contagion did not manifest themselves until the Halfling community had moved on. Medune's young daughter was the first to pass away within a week of the disease becoming apparent. As the doctor he was unable to find anyway of remedying the illness or alleviating the symptoms working tirelessly and desperately but only to end in failure was shattering his mind.

His wife was also bed ridden along with many other camp members when his daughter had passed suspicion and blame was being put on Medune, while reading through tomes and books looking for answers his wife's health declined as fever gripped her. Medune was chased out of the community for failing in his roll as the doctor and was blamed for the deaths of his family, luck allowed him to evade the other hunters in the group but he had lost his mind.

Goals: Medune has no real ambition or aspiration he tries to live his life being normal trying not to be the broken man he is believing that his family is watching over him and they wouldn't want to see him like that.

Possible Plot-Hook Ideas and Misc Facts: Despite being erratic in his behaviour and knowledge Medune is a competent surgeon even if he gets the names of organs and bones wrong he knows what he means. This adds a comedic element to his character. I am currently putting skill points in Heal and intend to make sure I have as many skill points in heal as possible.

Last edited by taylorstar on Sun May 29, 2016 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Medune Norman
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:03 pm 

A glimpse into Medunes former life

In the hustle and bustle of a busy trading town a caravan troupe entered their wagons and caravans parking in an open space, it was the norm for halfling caravans to stop and bring commerce into these towns, to sell goods they had either manufactured on the road and buy supplies to make the journey to the next town, routes were often well planned despite the relaxed nature of the people that followed them.

Each caravan was home to a family or in some cases more, younger families were often prioritised to have the more privacy especially with that of an infant, sitting in a caravan as it parked sat a young man and his wife cuddled on a couch an infant girl wrapped in a blanket across their laps. “we’re nearly there Medune” spoke the lady softly, her light brown hair was long and curly hanging down just past her shoulders. “I know, we will have to move quickly to get the best deals and i need some more books on the anatomy” Medune rambled on, much younger now than when he arrived in the coast many years later.

Medunes appearance wasn’t too different, his physique almost identical being that of your average man, the main difference in appearance was his hair being much shorter, a couple inches long and a shaggy mess, covering his eyebrows but not long enough to get in the way of his eyes, he carefully reached under his infant girl and gently slid her over to his wife's lap “be good little Mina, Daddy has to go do daddy things” he stood up stretching with a groan, his muscles stiff from the hours he had spent sitting on the couch.

The woman looked reached down the side of the couch there was a coin bag she scooped out a handful of coins and counted each one before mentally working out how much the supplies they wanted to get would cost, while carefully balancing the infant on her lap. “we need some -” “i know” “don’t forget the-” “i won’t” “Mina needs-” “it’s the first thing!” The two hins cut off each other as they discussed business, Medune tightened his belt and checked his pouches, in the safe environment of the town he would leave his bow and sword in the caravan.

The woman handed a small amount of coins mostly copper and silver pieces, she tried to hide a cheeky grin as her husband counted the coin, it seemed counting wasn’t his strong point as it took him some time to work out the exact sum while doing so he had a puzzled expression on his face. “this isn’t much i’ll barely be able to get all the stuff we need” concern was in his voice “well haggle then!” the lady retorted sticking her tongue out at him “I’m terrible at haggling! you frustrating woman you!” Medune seem displeased but the smile gave away his enjoyment of the banter “Well it’s your turn i did the last town besides it’s my turn to play parent while you work” With that the argument seemed final Medune sighed, it seemed like the argument had ended and the results finalised he wasn’t wriggling his way out of his responsibilities this time. “can i at least get something to eat while i’m out there?” A pleading look on Medunes face as he tried to give the puppy eye treatment to his wife, she returned with a sympathetic look “ok fine, give me your coin purse” Medune was only to eager to hand it over with a wide smile, his smile quickly faded as she took some coins out of the bag “you can eat when you come home.” Medune had lost this argument in every way and sighed defeatedly.

Opening the door to the caravan revealed plenty of daylight, grey clouds in the sky, the smell of the fresh air and that of the rain that had recently stopped, puddles lay on the ground, across from the Medunes Caravan he could see the rest of the troupe he gave a polite wave to the drivers of the wagons. Each family hopping down to the ground and passing down goods such as furs and other baubles that had been crafted through either sewing or carpentry. “Say goodbye to Daddy Mina!” the woman smiled gently holding her daughters hand and waving it, the baby giggled and blurted out a noise that sounded close to the words uttered by her mother. With a pride Medune smiled at the two “i love you both, now behave the both of you” He took his time to admire the things that meant most to him in the world “Oh we won’t, now get to work you bum!” With him now being ordered Medune jumped from the Caravan to the ground landing on some slippery mud he quickly fell onto his back “ow! im ok don’t worry” his voice moaned into the caravan only to be met by laughter from the woman and the baby blurting out “bum bum!”. Medune picked himself up with a smile dusting himself down trying to shake most of the wet mud off his clothes, Joining up with a few others from the caravans as they headed in towards the market, this was going to be a busy day and no doubt the usual hijinks and mischief would follow.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:12 am 

A blending of the present and past memories of Medune or how he remembers it.

In the city of Baldurs gate the sun was setting the usual hustle and bustle continued as the people of the city worked late into the night rebuilding and fixing the damage done during the undead siege. A lot of work was required into putting the city right but despite that there were those who were actively looking to take advantage of the city in its weakened state, from the shadows Medune watched helping from the distance where he could. But he had an agenda of his own, one shared by friends looking to stop the opportunists from taking advantage and hindering the rebuilding and growth of the city, those who would exploit the vulnerable.

He had spent a few days and a few nights hidden around corners but it seems the prey he was seeking had gone into hiding, all information and tracks had dispersed and the trail cold. He was working like this in part to help the people and in part to help distract him, seeing the city in its current condition was something that haunted him experience and wisdom had taught him how to bury his fear to hide it deep down so he could work around it, but it could never hide the symptoms such fear would bring with it. Flashbacks and memories of what lead to the most tragic moments of his life would stop him in his tracks.

He would close his eyes listening to the cries of the people, the angry shouting of those lost and frustrated the children who were hungry, when you have seen one city fall apart you have seen them all, the same familiar decay of society and moral corruption that swoops in. Standing looking through a window near the warehouses Medune could see his reflection looking back at him, his ever questionable sanity slipping more than usual he saw a reflection of his younger self looking back, those same scared eyes, the look of a man who didn't know what to do, a reflection of pain and grief as he wanted to help and emphasize with those who needed it most, the thing his past and present shared most of all was the powerlessness to help, he wasn't wealthy and he wasn't strong enough to move anything heavy, he didn't have the knowledge then or the means, the helplessness left a cold feeling running through Medune as he bowed his head shamefully, the progress in helping the people and the animals in the area wasn't good enough in Medunes opinion, he felt the pain of their suffering and it was tearing him apart inside.

The sun was setting and as darkness was filling the alleys so it was filling Medune himself, he needed to find some light, a source of happiness and warmth, his mind turned to his poorly friend, in part he was so adamant to take work inside the city because that was where she had been taken and been resting, moving through alley to alley staying hidden in the darkness the halfling darted towards the east gate district, the streets and alleys seemed empty and quiet, if Medune was to hear anything about the one eyed man, it would most likely be during the day getting closer to the east gate district Medune found himself walking alone upon the lit paths, as he reached the checkpoint going into the eastern district he tipped his hat there was still some bustle in the district patrons leaving taverns guards on duty on the main pavements, it offered Medune some comfort but not enough to prevent his quickening pace. Fortunately the Inn he was headed to was close by, as the sun had set and the sky turned dark Medune had made it to his destination.

With a knock on the door Medune entered the inn room, he had been greeted by his friend Elyssa, an elf with golden hair laying in the bed tossing and turning was Rilae, another of his friends one that had fallen ill and brought great concern to all of her friends, Medune and Elyssa had been the two most frequent watching over her, it took some convincing but Medune allowed Elyssa some free time, she had been so patiently watching over Rilae and caring for her with little time for her own business, and with the problems at hand a fresh set of eyes and someone of her conviction could no doubt achieve more than what one hin could do. With a wave she departed leaving Medune alone to watch over his friend.

Medune stood at the edge of the bed watching his sickly friend now once more alone but able to think a bit clearly he remembered the last time he had felt this dread and concern, that of a friend caring so deeply for his friends who needed it, as he watched Rilae toss and turn he had another flashback one that sent stabbing pains through his heart and mind, in her place he no longer saw Rilae but his own wife the tosses and turns of Rilae mimicked by the vision of his wife, the mumbles and moans turned into the screaming and cries of the female hin who Medune had pledged his life to be with. with folded arms Medune grasped his small biceps his head bowed and a frown on his face the screams of his wife reaching him, with stuttered and bated breath he closed his eyes tightly, he could still remember the very day of his wife passing, each passing moment his heart beat faster beginning to race, Medune was losing control of his mind and body and he knew it. “snap out of it Medune” he almost pleaded to himself he was stuck in his pose as he gritted his teeth breathing was beginning to get painful, he could remember being at his wife’s side not having the answers he needed, not having the means to help her, his helplessness and the grief of failing in his responsibilities as a professional and a husband, he began heaving as his panic attack had its full grasp on him what's more is he could now hear the voices of his daughter and himself, he could remember his daughters cries, his own tears and pleas, his screams.

As the darkness of the memory seemed to fully envolop him he began to quietly scream mostly in horror and grief through his teeth it began to get slowly get louder the thrashing of his wife in his vision got more volatile it was nearing the end as he remembered it, but before he could relive the most painful moment of his life he heard a knocking at the door behind him, he looked up the room had returned to normal Rilae laying in the bed infront of him and behind a soft gentle voice speaking as she entered “Hello?” It was the blond haired Terri, Medunes closest friend of recent times, she noted he looked fatigued and offered a friendly embrace, As they hugged Medune began to think, it’s the happiest he has been since then, he isn’t alone he is surrounded by friends which he loves all as much as he did his wife and daughter, their absence and the hole it made left in his heart he filled with his love for his friends, there was no room for grief no matter how it would creep in. As he came to the realisation the door opened once more and Elyssa had returned from her journeys and business with a warm smile Medune thought once more to himself.

“I am surrounded by the best friends anyone could ask for, far better than i deserve. I shall be the best friend i can be for them and everything will get better.”

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:00 am 
Associate DM

Approved, pending reward.

"Fear is a mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I'll face my fear. Only I'll remain." - F. Herbert

Remember: It's just a game. No need to get sad, angry or vengeful over it.

Lore of the 1352 Campaign
State of Affairs - 1352 - Year of the Dragon

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:03 pm 
Associate DM

Exp granted.

"Fear is a mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I'll face my fear. Only I'll remain." - F. Herbert

Remember: It's just a game. No need to get sad, angry or vengeful over it.

Lore of the 1352 Campaign
State of Affairs - 1352 - Year of the Dragon

Unread postPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:36 am 

A present and on going story, the burdened Hin who marches like an Ox

There were darker days In Medunes memory those still fresh in his mind, those of the darkness and emotions that the blight brought out, how its evil fearful hands wrapped around and consumed the very souls who were sworn to fight the darkness to be beacons of lights shining through the clouds, how it would turn and isolate them separate them, make even the slightest of tensions turn into wars and sworn blood feuds that would put the history and longevity of elves and dwarves to shame.

But the blight had passed and along with it most of the evil it was causing and the darkness that tried to penetrate and corrupt his friends heart had gone, like fields after a storm with fallen leaves and branches, he could see the gardens regrown, peoples faith being restored the skies clearer and the sun shining brighter its warmth rejuvenating him and all those around, Out of the darkness he saw heroes rising, carrying the spirits and strength of all those around them physical embodiments of all the good that was returning, the mighty trees growing tall once more after the storm, a bastion of what was good, his angels.

Yet in this time of peace Medune had been absent, he sat laid back in the fields idle enjoying the freedom to reap what is sowed, farmers replanting their crops, life was back to normal for this hin, running through woodland camping out and eating more than his share in rations he wasn't needed things were getting better he was letting their own strength come back to them their own bonds to reform it would be better that way.

After his lengthy hiatus the Hin returned rested and restored, the coast had gone far as had its people he stood at the campfire outside the friendly arm inn it was empty he looked up to the sun and smiled extending his arms out waiting to embrace its warmth once more but instead of a smile he frowned, with his typical confused expression on his face, he couldn't feel the warmth, why did it feel like he was drowning?. He quickly learnt that not all was as it seems there was still darkness working its way around, Werewolves threatening beautiful lands Orcs gathering in the north raiding and pillaging more vicious and destructive than ever heard of before, and the faith of his friends beginning to falter, darkness creeping to once more take their hearts, burdens that threatened to make them falter.

As a friend Medune had sworn to fight of these things and carry the burdens of his friends, but there is only so much he could take, forgetting that he himself was broken on the inside, his own heart body mind and soul vulnerable to the same darkness if not more so. He quickly found himself being stretched thin, being pulled away from those he held dearest, even as he reached out to his best friend he found himself being pulled to the what he believed the frontlines to face the darkness and those carrying the heaviest of burdens or closest to collapsing.

One by the one the dark clouds were being pushed back and while he in person was not strong enough or able to be present to fight them all the way he was there to support his friends and pray and think of them, he had been at the defence of Khell Driver when it fell and was part of the initial assault in taking it back. He had made many great new friends and allies, more promises and people that he cared for, he could feel their strength welling up inside of him strength he would use to care for those all around, keeping none for himself.

After a trip into dangerous and dark lands small missions working towards a greater goal of rescuing those who were captive in the deepest darkest recesses of the coast he found himself physically battered but mentally strong unaware of a creeping fatigue.

With the sun due to set soon the Hin smiled another day was over one he had spent helping friends, but the moon was beginning to rise, he had places to be, loose ends he needed to chase up, friends who he had promised to be there to catch should they fall.

The beautiful village of Doron Amar was a magical sight to behold at any hour, during the day the sun would shine down and reflect of the stone the village would be warm and welcoming the waters clear and sparkling, by night mystical and enchanting the moonlight bring a different sparkle to the water the firebugs lighting up the village as they nestled in the flowers flying around minding their own business.

The lone hin made this journey many times he found comfort in this place he had worked hard and risked much for the people that called it home and it had been rewarded with their friendship, special permission to visit the wizard tower and the temple, beauty the like he had wished he could of shown his family, something that was bitter sweet every time he walked through the village he felt as though his family would be able to see it, through him, those who are no longer there could enjoy it through him watching over him with pride.

Medune never took these things for granted, any friendship any respect, any privilege or responsibility he treasured and respected with all that he could, with the moon now high in the sky he slowly made his way down the cobblestone path towards the temple, an energetic and warm wave and smile as he saw a figure by the alter, as he came to the entrance he could see a friend, an of his angel, one who he entrusted the future of the coastlands to slumped she had fallen. Her head buried in her knees curled up and silently drowning in grief, the hin rushed to her side to comfort her, his heart sank and his chest hurt it felt as though he had been hit by a giant spiked mace. She revealed her loss to him stripped of the strength that gave her voice and revealed that there was another hurt just as much.

With her guidance and direction Medune had promised to return while only on the other side of the alter it felt as though the hin had to wade through turbulent waters, his determination knew no bounds what was only a meter may well of been a mile he would of cleared it just as quickly with just as much fervour and determination. On the other side of the alter mirroring the first of his angels in this story was a second a fair haired sun elf, in cloth and hood, he knew why she was in pain but did not know the full extent he treated each moment as though every second was a lifesaving moment he hugged her comforted her tried to get her attention to snap her out of whatever nightmarish state she was in, finally she responded slowly looking up at him, drowning in sorrow her expression of reddish eyes, as though someone had ripped out and hollowed sun elf of all the joy and light that Medune had seen in her replacing it with despair, another angel had fallen.

The look in her eyes and on her face, the tears she had shed these are things that Medune recognised immediately he had felt them before, he felt it now as he looked upon his fallen friends that brief glance all she had the strength to do a hand mentally reaching out for help. It was enough to send Medune back to all those years ago when he felt the same way, everything ripped from him, brief flashes of those he had loved the most in life that fate had cruelly and twistedly robbed him of. The expression of this angel was one he saw years ago reflecting in a muddy puddle. A single glance was all it was took Inside Medune felt as though he had become broken glass, a hammer strike at his heart shattering his body, he begged her to hold on wisdom tempered his words and held back his pain, he had work to do.

He brought his two angels together to let them know they were not alone, his fondest memories of recent times where not just the two angels in front him hugging him, but doing so with others he called angels one he called best friend. The strength he felt that poured into him from those that loved him as he loved them was a powerful feeling and now his only thoughts as he sat them together and hugged them both as best he could was "Please take it back take all the strength you have given me back!"

The hin spent the night comforting and trying to restore the strength in his fallen friends, When the sun rose and the elves sought their reverie Medune returned to the temple, it was early enough there was no one else around, his friends were falling the things he had sworn to fight against and protect his friends were winning and he had failed what's more the hin himself had been struck a grave blow.

He shambled down to the alter with each step a strike against his forced smile and another tear to roll down his cheek, standing at the alter the banners of the elven gods around him the statues looking down at him on his shaky legs the hin fell to his knees he rest his head against the alter his hands balancing him holding on to the top of he alter with a feeble grip. "Help" he cried out quietly tears streaming out his eyes falling to the ground "Help me, Help them please!" the hin begged as he closed his eyes tightly he didn't know what more he could do to save his angels, his friends. He had tried to do all he was capable of but it wasn't enough of that he was certain.

His head sunk lower his own faith waning he sobbed the helpless feeling and rambling he had used to try and lift the spirits of those he cared about and he was reminded of a story, a story once read to him as a child and one he had read to his daughter to comfort her to sleep on many a night, a favourite of hers and one his too, he then began to recite the story. The hins voice was shakey trembling on the verge of breaking.

There came a time of troubles to the Green Fields. In the first year,
bitter winds blasted from the highlands,
drying out the fields and leaving no grain and no fruit to harvest in the Fall

His voice broke as he spoke of the bride he paused for a sob continuing, his grief filled voice gaining strength towards the end of the verse.

But Littleman turned to his bride, Melindy,
and he said we’ve still got our sheep, and our pony, and our plow.
We’ll have a good crop next year! And she smiled at him, and they waited.

He struggled with the words at first his wording more in audible murmers but as he spoke of the flies defiance filled the hins voice.

Then, when spring came, it brought the rains in a flood,
and with them came a sickness of flies across the land.
They bit the animals, and the sheep and the ponies all got theevil sickness.
They wasted away and died, even before the crop got in the ground.
So Littleman turned to Melindy and he said be happy, my wife.
We still have our stream, and our flowers. And again she smiled at him,
and they waited for the flies to go.

As Medune spoke the next verse he gritted his teeth his tone one that was almost bitter.

Which they did, but only when the frosts came to freeze everything across the land.
The stream dried away, caught in the highlands in a grip of ice,
and all the flowers and even the grass withered away and died.

Medunes arms and legs were shaking his toes dug into the ground and began to lift himself off his knees using the altar for support, his voice carrying his broken spirit to the end of the verse.

This time Littleman turned to his wife and he soothed her fears
Don‘t worry, my dear we have our hearth, and our burrow to shelter
But next came the storms, with such wind,
such power, that the very roof was torn from the burrow,
and the stones of the hearth fell down into a great pile,
nearly crushing the two of them before they could flee from the broken wreckage of their home.
At last they stood outside, shivering and desolate,
with no food, no animals, and not even a shelter over their heads.

Medune found his footing his head rising above the alter looking to the water basin across from him while his face might be seen as that could of been angry a better perspective would be one of determination, overcoming his mental obstacles, the grit required to crawl out of any hole he was buried in His voice was filled strength and maturity, he speaks the lines clearly.

Then did Littleman know sorrow and grief? You might think so, but you’d be wrong,
For even then, with all of his life in ruins around him,
he turned to Melindy, and he said
Be happy, my love-all we have lost we shall regain, in years to come.
And for now, we still have each other.

The hins will reforged and his broken spirit mended he made a vow in front of the statues and banners of elven gods.

I'm not going to wait for it in years to come, I will have it all tomorrow!

With that the hin donned his hat once more and set off, it had been a long day but the work he had to do was on going.