All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Valqis Sanejmeh
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:10 pm 
BGTSCC Lead Developer

Template For Character Creation Reward:
* Valqis has been on BGTSCC for almost two real-life years*
First Name: Valqis
Last Name: Sanejmeh
Her full formal name as she would say it is: valQiS SanejmeH puqbe' martoq ghilqa je

Appearance: Ethnic features more typical of someone from east-Faerun than the Sword Coast. Naturally tan skin. Her beautiful eyes are encircled with dark ancient Egyptian-style eye liner. Her fingernails are expertly manicured shiny black. She is curvy and median weight for her height. Many persons would consider her very beautiful.

Race: Human
Height 5’5”
Weight: 135 pounds.
Eyes: Hazel
Hair: Taupe which reflects silver strands when exposed to moonlight.
Facial Hair Style: None.

Personality Profile: Valqis is an explorer at heart. Sanejmeh means “you-explore-for-us” in her native language. She was born under a full moon on the Spring Equinox and therefore became a person of interest to the local priestess of Nut (see Deity). Valqis was educated and raised in the upper echelons of her home island’s society, where she is considered a noble. She is social, well mannered and polite. She can also curse like a sailor when she becomes angry or frustrated. Valqis can be playful or very flirtatious. She is not afraid to use her feminine charms to persuade someone to get what she wants. She is a loyal to her family, (few close) friends, and Candlekeep. She is generally friendly but neutral to everyone else.

She developed innate magical abilities after her arrival on the Sword Coast. She vaguely understands magic. She does not consider herself “blessed” by Nut but does recognize the special gift she has, which is a result of being born under a full moon. She is very put-off by others claiming to be “favored” by their god. She is suspicious of “cursed” persons (warlocks). Otherwise, she is very much a live-and-let-live-unless-they-are-obviously-wanting-to-kill-me-or-you mindset with respect to other’s beliefs.

Valqis is very task oriented. She travels frequently which she enjoys. Unfortunately, she is uncomfortably aware she has 4 places she can call “home” and wonders how long she can remain this ungrounded. Meanwhile, she performs her duties but wants something more. Other friends’ marriages and her sister’s marriage and recent motherhood caused Valqis realize what that something could possibly be.

She also enjoys performing at the theater. She likes ales and red wine and is prone to overindulge. She avoids whiskey.

She has a fear of spiders.

General Health: She is in generally good health with no significant lasting scars. She is toned but not buff. She is very limber and steady on her feet.

Deity: Nut, godess of everything to do with the distant sky, sun, moon, and stars. Beliefs approximate equal to those of Selune’. Nut is the wife of Mulhorundi pantheon god Geb. On Valqis’ home islands, Nut is believed to be their mother creator. Valqis’ eye makeup and black painted fingernails represent Nut’s eyes and hands watching and tending to Toril from the distant dark sky.

Initial Alignment: Began as TN but slowly shifted to NG.

Profession: Ship navigator, cartographer and stellar cartographer by training. Later became a Reader at Candlekeep. Her research focuses on mapping distant places.

Base Class & Proposed Development: Already L30 (mostly bard)

Habits/Hobbies: Since coming to the Sword Coast, Valqis joined the White Mask Theater guild as a singer. She also plays a drum and dances, though singing is easily her strongest skill. Over time, she became a very accomplished and recognized figure in Baldurs Gate performing arts. Her “axe song” was considered quite innovative or shocking or bawdy depending on whom you asked.

Valqis is a proficient painter and song writer.

Languages: Valqis can read, write, and speak Qarnaqi (home islands) and Common launguages. She Speaks witlh a tlhik aksent. She avoids using words with similar sounds but different meanings. (e.g. She refers to the direction as starboard. 1+1 = 2 is a correct statement. You use a pen to rite.) She can read and write some Mulhorundi hieroglyphs.

Weapon of Choice: Longbow; it is a natural extension of herself. She is also proficient with a great axe. She learned to use it as a test by her ship’s captain to prove she was worthy of serving on his ship (and not just a pretty face and sultry smile).

Background: Valqis is from distant islands in the Trackless Sea collectively named, “Qarnaq.” Valqis is the first born daughter of an important family of her home islands. Her father is a shipwright. She has two sisters and youngest brother. Her parents and siblings are living on her home island. The oracles of Nut noticed Valqis’ interest in the night sky and natural ability with geometry. They encouraged these interests by teaching her various celestial studies, cartography, stellar cartography and the associated math.

She was always a curious explorer around her homeland island, hence her Coming-of-Age name, "SanejmeH" (you-explore-for-us). Valqis is also musically inclined often singing and dancing with others at the temple of Nut. However, her duties were always first with the maps and math; not music.

Read more about Valqis’ home islands here.

Two years ago (1345 DR), Valqis set sail from her home islands on a ship named, ro'DuQwi' (fist-be-spiked) along with 12 other crew. There were two other similar ships. All three ships sailed eastward in search of lands-to-the-east as envisioned by the oracles of Nut. Their mission was to find these lands, record what they found, and then return home to report what they found. Valqis’ ship found the Lantan Islands. But a few days later they were attacked by pirates near the Nelanther Islands. Valqis was washed overboard during the fighting which ended when both ships sank. She was found alone on wreckage by a merchant ship and eventually delivered to Baldurs Gate. About a year later, she was able to return home via a portal created by the then Guide of Candlekeep, Valerius. There she learned the other two ships never returned either. She later led an expedition to Chult and found 3 surviving crew members from one ship at a fishing village.

She slowly acclimated to the Sword Coast, learned Common and eventually found a home at Candlekeep. She also played a small part in the Bhaalist campaign serving under Sir Jonas Rokranon direction. She formed a romantic relationship with Emrys Kerr but ended it after discovering his curse, for which he was later mercifully killed. She dated Sir Justin Crownsilver of the Flaming Fist for a few months but that relationship ended with his departure to Tethyr not long after her initial return home.

Seeker Valqis accompanied a Candlekeep expedition to find an important artifact. The leader died in an attack and Valqis took command; eventually returning the party safely to Candlekeep after several diversions. She was later appointed Reader to study and use the artifact to further her cartography duties.

Goals: She completed her primary goal of completing her ship’s mission. The oracles told her to remain in service to Candlekeep to find some yet-to-be-known treasures. “The more you search, then the more you can find. You will know it when you find it.” was all they told her.

Possible Plot-Hook Ideas and Misc Facts: Valqis is the keeper and operator of a unique guild item for Candlekeep. First Reader Tethtoril told her with the item she will bring significant lore and artifacts to Candlekeep. The oracles of Nut gave her direction to remain at the Sword Coast in service of Candlekeep with a similar message. She suspects the Oracles telegraphed their thoughts to Tethtoril as dreams but dared not question them out of respect for their authority.

Last edited by Duster47 on Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Valqis Sanejmeh
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:42 pm 

Reviewed - Gold Rewarded.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 11:36 am 
BGTSCC Lead Developer

Add portrait of Valqis as she appears in 1352 DR.

/// The heiroglyphs* read from top-left down then to right and down:
Her name in the oval-frame, then says she is "Navigator of our home islands. We celebrate her for navigating around the world in year 952" (on their calendar). "She is blessed by revered Nut" (name in oval, the same symbol on Valqis' shoulder pad).

* The glyphs are not simple Common-to-Mulhorandi (i.e. English-to-Egyptian), it is actual IG phrasing as she would speak IG. So their are two layers of translation here. ///

Unread postPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:08 pm 
BGTSCC Lead Developer

/// The OP was true and accurate until ~1349 DR (RL 2013). I am adding more detailed back ground and other dirt information for those who care to know may remember when Valqis was around the Sword Coast far more than now in 1352 DR. This is a work-in-progress. Onward for some gratuitous self indulgence :oops: ///

1. Family and Childhood History:
1.1. Parents: Father Martoq and mother Ghilqa, both in their upper-40’s as of 1352 DR. Martoq is a renowned shipwright and land owner of the Amarna village. Ghilqa is the respected matriarch of their extended household. They have four, now grown, children.
1.2. Siblings: Valqis is first born followed by sisters Mara (26) and Q’Ehlyr (24) and youngest brother Qolotlh (21). All three are living in or near their home village of Amarna. They are all married with both sisters having children of their own. Her brother was only recently married and is being brought up to follow in his father’s footsteps.
1.3. Early childhood: Valqis grew up in a wealthy house tended by servants. She was taught to read, write and basic math skills. She was noted to excel at math and drawing, assisting her father with his work. She often gazed at the night sky, noting stars and phases of the moon and their recurring appearances. The Oracles of Nut took an early interest in Valqis as her skills became evident.
1.4. Tween-years: When she was 10 years old, the Oracles of Nut insisted Valqis be sent to the Temple of Nut at Saqqara to further her education. They taught her detailed math of the stellar cartography, motions of the planets and moon, and celestial navigation. She practiced her cartography skills by conducting land surveys on Esna Island. The temple was also a festive place, where Valqis eagerly joined the others in song and dance. Valqis’ singing voice and performing skills became apparent and were enjoyed by others. She graduated her studies at age 19, earning her functional name, Sanejmeh, meaning, she-is-guiding-us.
1.5. Late-teens/Sailor-years: At graduation, the Qarnaqi people’s mission to explore Toril beyond the horizon was well underway. Valqis was selected to be the navigator of one of three ships that would make that first journey east into the distant unknown. She furthered her sailor skills and was taught to fight with axe and bow. The ship’s captain was unsure of Valqis strength and was particularly hard on the pretty girl with an easy upbringing. She proved him wrong and earned his respect through the force of her will. The song, Happiness is a Big Axe, was inspired by her sailor training trials.

Song lyrics:
Hidden: show
jey’nas tin kuch’a’na’ - (Happiness is a big axe) +

*sing slow* i'm not a girl who misses much

*sing scales* do do do do do do- oh Hija'

*sing forsceful* i'm well aqainted with the touch of a metal hand

being a member of a sailor training band

*sing* i take my plase with my weapon in hand

*fite position* i stand ready and willing to defend my land

my eyes are lying while my hands are sure working overtime

my weakness kannot show so i kan save this body of mine

i try my best to make it through the day

i hope my body will not give me away

i need another target that i kan pound

i will chop it to bits before i fall to the ground

*sing plead* sailor trainer do not give me a shake

you've taked from me all there is to take

i need to rest or i soon will break

*sing angry 3x* sailor trainer do not beat on me

*sing* happiness is a big axe

*chant* joP chaQ ngol lev *move axe: slash akross - up - side - down*

*sing* happiness is a big axe, yes it is (oh yes)

*chant* joP chaQ ngol lev *repeat motions*

*sing sultry* when i hold you in my hands (oh yes)

i feel my fingers on your long handle (oh yes)

*dance with axe*

*sing growl* i know no one kan harm me (oh yes)

*sing* bekause happiness is a big axe, kaptain

happiness is a big axe, yes it is (oh yes)

happiness is a big, yes it is... a great big axe!
*kiss the axe*

2. Notable Physical Traits:
2.1. Race: Human – Genetically, Valqis is a pure-blood Mulani without hint of “outsider” blood for at least 50 generations.
2.2. Birthdate and place: Ches 19, 1325 DR, at the village of Amarna on Esna Island in the Qarnaq islands group. She is 27 years old as of this record (1352 DR).
2.3. General physical appearance: She is about 5’5” (1.65 m) tall and 135-140 pounds (61-63 kg) weight. Her skin is naturally tan. She has definite feminine curves. She moves gracefully and is very sure-footed, comparing favorably with a cat. She is about average strength and health for someone of similar age and height. She has all of her teeth and a very pretty smile. Most persons would find her to be very attractive. There are two puncture-wound scars on her upper-right back from a wyvern attack gone terribly wrong. There are no other large, obvious scars on her. She often smells of coconut, which is from a skin lotion she uses daily.
2.4. Eyes: She has hazel-colored eyes encircled with dark eyeliner which tails off to the sides. The eyeliner is a common tribute among followers of the goddess Nut, alluding to a motherly gaze from the dark, night sky.
2.5. Hair: Her hair is a very dark taupe brown, straight and past shoulder length. She has bangs cut, though she lets them grow out at times to change things up. She will tie her hair up to be either practical or pretty depending on the situation. She often weaves ribbons braided into her hair to frame her face. Her hair appears to have widely-dispersed, silvery-strands when viewed under direct moonlight.
2.6. Hands: Valqis keeps generally good hygiene which is clearly evident with well-manicured shiny-black fingernails. Sometimes she will paint her toenails too. She is mostly right-handed, but can use her left if her right hand is full, such as hanging onto something.
2.7. Voice: One of her most obvious “first impression” attributes, or hindrances, is her thick accent. Otherwise, her voice is mid-tone, very smooth and melodic. She has a very powerful, mid-range singing voice. Some may say she is one of the best quality-of-voice singers to perform at the White Mask Theater when she routinely performed there. (RL note; Valqis sings similar to Amy Lee of Evanescence)