All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: MUM'S GUIDES: Chat Logs
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:44 am 
Server Mum

Chat logs are immensely useful, either on their own, or in conjunction with screen shots. There are several ways to do this, but truthfully the most reliable is through the latest version of the NWN2 Client Extension by Skywing. It can be found here:
http://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn2/other/nwn2-client-extension

The Client extension, aside from offering some stability and other goodies to NWN2, keeps dated, time stamped logs for both the chat log and combat log. It orders them into a folder in your “My Documents/Neverwinter Nights 2” Folder, named simply “Logs”. Logs are further sorted by character name. It adds to it each time you log in (rather than over writing as the traditional method does), and the only thing you need to worry about is playing past midnight and having to start a separate log for one session.

To make use of it, simply download the zip file, extract it to a place of your choosing (I toss mine in the “My Documents/Neverwinter Nights 2” folder). Then simply start the game each time with the launcher included (“NWLauncher”). Create a shortcut and toss it wherever you normally keep your NWN2 default short cut.
~~

There are a host of other programs out there, and methods… Most of which I have found to be overly complicated and less than reliable. The traditional method is to change the INI file as follows:

Set following things in the nwn2player.ini in your NWN2 directory in My Documents. Simply look for the heading:
[Game Options]

And add this line:
ClientChatLogging=1

Note, for this to take effect you HAVE to restart NWN2. You may simply use the standard short cut for this to work. (note: having logging modified for this method does not interfere with using the chat logging system in the Client Extension.)

Then the logs are saved to the \Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp\NWN2\LOGS\ directory with name nwclientLog1.txt.

VERY IMPORTANT NOTES IF YOU USE THIS METHOD:

1) It saves them to a temporary directory. They can be deleted by programs that clean junk files.

2) Crashing does not always ensure that the log is saved accurately.

3) It WILL overwrite everything in the document nwnclientLog1.txt EACH time you restart NWN2. EVERY TIME. This means if you crash or exit the game, and do not move or rename the file, you will lose the information in it.

4) It does not save the info in the ‘combat log’ just the info in the ‘chat log’.
~~

There are programs out there to rotate through logs that prevent overwrite in the traditional method, meant to be used in conjunction. Honestly, I have never used them and could not explain the ins and outs of them. Call me partial, but with NWN2’s buggy self sometimes, and the need for the client extender anyway? I simply use it. Easiest and most Reliable method of saving logs I have ever found.

Note on chat logs, however useful they may be, screenshots are preferred when sending DM and Staff reports of misconduct and bugs/issues. So even with logs, please keep your print screen button handy.

They can be used, however, to keep track of who said what, later review, direct quoting ect. Some people find logs more useful than others. Personally I find them a blessing, and wish I had always kept them. I advise backing them up to a disc and keeping them, especially if you are an organized ‘never get rid of a file I might want ten years from now’ sort.

That should cover the basics. The very basics. If there are any other questions on the topic, do not hesitate to send me a PM.

"Even Echoes fade to silence."

Last edited by LeslieMS on Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: MUM'S GUIDES: Chat Logs
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:26 am 
Server Mum

File locales are slightly different for Windows 7 Users. Specific path are as follows:

For the Client extender:
C:\Users\Your User Folder\Documents\Neverwinter Nights 2\Logs

For Standard Chat logging:
C:\Users\Your User Folder\AppData\Local\Temp\NWN2\LOGS\

Post subject: Re: MUM'S GUIDES: Chat Logs
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:43 am 
Server Mum

As an aside note, it was recently brought to my attention that I forgot a rather important note: The chat log is kept in a hidden folder... so if you search for it you may need to 'search hidden files'. Cleaning temporary files before backing up your log to another location will cause it to disappear. In windows XP I am fairly certain that it doesn't search hidden folders by default, I don't have an XP machine to double check.