All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: MUM'S GUIDES: Screen Shots
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:29 pm 
Server Mum

Screenshots, one of the game’s most useful tools. Be it for that awesome looking moment, remembering memorable RP, keeping records for many reasons, insuring accuracy in quotes ect. In those moments when bugs and glitches, metagaming, PVP, or any other disagreement comes to pass, they are also vital to have for DM and Staff use. Someone breaks the rules? They need a screen shot. Game ate your gear? They Need a screen shot. Want to remember what you overheard at an important secret meeting? Take a screen shot. A vital and important thing. The problem is, most people don’t know how or when to take a screen shot. This post will address these questions.

Now, when you are in game, it is handy to check this from time to time. One thing I hear people complaining about is when the print screen key suddenly stops working. I have experienced this myself from time to time. Sometimes you simply need to reset the key binding.

Hit your “Escape” key. This will bring up the game menu. Select the Game Options Button.

This will bring a screen up:

1) Click on the Keymapping Tab
2) Click on the Misc. Tab
3) Find the Screen Capture option. Now to Set the key binding (I use the same key for all camera views, but you may use different ones. I also use the Default PrntScr button (usually upper Right corner of the keyboard) Double click on each ‘button’ one at a time. Once you do this the ‘box’ turns reddish. Once it does this, simply hit the key of your choice.
4) Click the Apply Changes Button
5) Click the Accept Button

Optionally, if you haven’t set many other custom keys, you may simply click Restore Defaults and it will set your screen capture to the Print Screen button. Then simply hit Resume Game or the Escape Key again to return to game.

Once this is done you may take screenshots by hitting the desired key. When you do, you will see the yellow words SCREEN CAPTURED in the middle of your screen. Note: You will not get this confirmation if you have the game interfaces hidden. You will however notice a brief pause in the game animations ect.

Another important note is this: If you have your cursor active in the chat boxes, IT WILL NOT TAKE SCREEN SHOTS. Be careful not to hit enter if you intend to screen shot something. This also goes for the alternative languages box.

Your screen shots are always found in your Neverwinter Nights 2 folder that is found in your “My Documents/ Documents” folder (not the directory for the game in your “Program Files” directory). Often they are given long names that are actually dated and timed. This helps keep them in order, but I still like to rename mine with a system that works for me to keep them classified by event or conversation, and in order. Alternatively, I simply put related Screen Shots in a zip folder that is dated and given a short name so I know what conversation or what have you, that it is.

In the very rarest of occasions, the game will not take screen shots even if you have reset the key binding, and have made sure that your chat boxes are inactive. Unfortunately it is usually something that happens (I do mean very rarely) because of lag or game crash. The only way around this that I have found is to either use a separate screenshot program like FRAPS (Which I have not ever used because I don’t need it. However if you do a lot of ‘spying’ or ‘shady’ IC stuff, I recommend it. Highly.) And to keep logs. I will cover logs in a later How To.

Now then. To post/share these screen shots with the DM/Staff teams as needed or requested. There are several resources available. The most common is to use an image sharing website like Photobucket. This is the one I use simply because it is mostly hassle free. I have also had no trouble with lost/corrupted images, or viruses/spy ware/adware ect. from this site. Then you simply copy the [IMG] link given. Use this link/code when posting in PM or forum posts.

If emailing or sending a large batch of screenshots, I recommend a compression program like 7zip, which is easy to use and makes tiny files. I also use Dropbox, In which case you simply add the screenshot zip, or screenshot to your Dropbox folder, then follow Dropbox’s instructions to get the public link. Paste the public link in the PM/Email/Forum post. The reader can then download the image, or zip containing images.

I find it monumentally useful to keep my screen shots, and usually back them up to a disc or something for future reference. Also, just because you don’t need them right away, doesn’t mean you might not in the future.

Now then, for whatever reason, if you are submitting screenshots on the forums, please follow forum posting rules, found here:
Subject: Forum Rules

If you can’t put the screen up without offending someone, giving out ‘sensitive IC info’ or it might break the forum posting rules… then you should likely send it in a polite PM to the DM/Staff folks. Emphasis on polite… I also recommend constructive and neat. Make sure the screen shots you submit are legible… Don’t resize them to the point that they aren’t readable. Don’t over edit them. Especially don’t edit them to the point that it leaves out important info. If you crop them for size, or whatever, or edit them to remove the conversation you had in tells with your best friend about the trip to the lake, or whatever, I suggest keeping the originals, and saving the edits under another name. Bear in mind that in tough situations or heated arguments, DM/Staff may ask for originals.

General rule of thumb is to follow the IG rules at all times. Found here:
Subject: SERVER RULES

I think this has covered the important info on Screen shots. If I missed something though, send me a PM at your leisure.

"Even Echoes fade to silence."

Post subject: Re: MUM'S GUIDES: Screen Shots
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:03 pm 

Awesome information! This is most helpful, thanks Mum!

Missy, Knight General of the Order of the Rose
Lea Littlefoot, Knight in training and ranger of the Order
Jerel, The eyes are indeed a window to the soul

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:59 pm 

Now you only need to tell them how to change the save format into .bmp

"I warrant your attention?! Oh frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:29 pm 
BGTSCC QC Coordinator

Simian Approbatur wrote:
Now you only need to tell them how to change the save format into .bmp

Open "nwn2.ini" file in "My Documents / Neverwinter Nights 2" folder. Search for line "ScreenshotFormat", change its value to either "png" or "bmp"

Nvidia users (especially users of 86xx graphic card series) can encounter various graphical glithces on the screenshot. (blackened sky, special effects, overly bright / overly dark, etc.)

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:07 am 
panic();

Ivan38Rus wrote:
Nvidia users (especially users of 86xx graphic card series) can encounter various graphical glithces on the screenshot. (blackened sky, special effects, overly bright / overly dark, etc.)

I get this and it really ruins the picture, so your best bet is just to hit "Prt Screen", Windows Key out of it, paste it to paint and save it as a PNG...a pain, but you get wonderful screen shots.

Medical Expense Campaign Thanks, for your time. :)

Any general donations for travel and expenses can be sent to PayPal email auseurotravpp@gmail.com

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:14 pm 

My screenshots have not been saving recently, or perhaps they were not even taken. The screen freezes as usual while supposedly taking the shot, but when the game is minimized or exited, I will not see the most recently captured screen covering my desktop as it usually would when successful screenshots are taken and it will not appear in the usual save location.

After some trial and error, I realized that my computer will refuse to take/save the shots if I have my Anti-Aliasing on. Does anyone know why this would happen? I would like to take my shots with Anti-Aliasing...

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:27 pm 
Server Mum

Interesting... Mine take and I know Anti Aliasing is off because for some weird reason I can't have it on even with a good video card. Must be some odd bug with Anti-Aliasing or something? I didn't notice mine couldn't be set until recently. I'll have to look into it.

"Even Echoes fade to silence."

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:53 am 

I had a similair issue, and to me it seemed that NwN will only save so many screens to your "My documents" folder. I had about 150 screens, after I moved those to a different folder the screens saved as normal.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:31 pm 
BGTSCC Lead Programmer

You can just press the print screen button, open paint and paste it in if NWN2 is being a bugger.

That's what I usually do.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:03 pm 
panic();

Rasael wrote:
You can just press the print screen button, open paint and paste it in if NWN2 is being a bugger.

That's what I usually do.

That is the best way to get nice clean Screen Shots. ;)

Medical Expense Campaign Thanks, for your time. :)

Any general donations for travel and expenses can be sent to PayPal email auseurotravpp@gmail.com

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:45 pm 

Mine only works if I hit Shift+PrtScr.

Works great though.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:11 am 

Print screen works just fine, as long as that folder is not clogged with screens. To me it seems like that weird name the screens get might be the issue.