All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Player? Introduce Yourself!
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:45 pm 

Bluebeard wrote:
I do not own a copy of Neverwinter Nights 2, making it quite questionable as to why I've signed up to these forums.
However, I have played literally countless hours of NWN1 online and used to love the roleplay, as well as hundreds of hours of BG 1 and 2 (and even IWD). I left NWN1 years ago and when I returned the RP servers I once loved were either completely empty or didn't exist at all.
NWN, I discovered was effectively dead. However, nwnscry's always bringing this server up in the top 3 most players on NWN2, so maybe it's time to branch out.
What I'm wondering is, is do you think that this server is worth buying NWN2? Based on the NWN1 experiences I'm sure you've all had, how does this compare? Look forward to hearing some responses, feel free to message me!

Hello and welcome!

I played on NWN1 for years as well (Amia, Cormyr & Dalelands). I was not very excited about getting NWN2 because I didn't think anything could be as fun as NWN1 and I heard about bugs, bugs, bugs. It is completely worth it. The graphics really are a lot better. Visually, things don't move as quickly (at least for my computer) but it really is worth the money. Bugs aren't really anything to worry about. When you find your niche here it will feel a lot like NWN1 all over again.

PCs:
Rorick Runegraph (Check out Rorick's Rune of Light)
Ckalthea Chenfur
Aeric
Squire Brevin of Lathander

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:42 pm 
BGTSCC Quality Control

Welcome Bluebeard!

I came from a similar background in BG1 & 2 and NWN1 so I can offer you a few insights.

Most of the bugs that still exist in the final version of NWN2 were ironed out in various community updates (eg. Kaedrin's, and the client extension) so these are no longer the problem they once were (whatever else you may have been reading about nwn2 to date). Something that still annoys me (well, not really a bug but still annoying) is that self-targeted spells such as Spell Mantle require you to select yourself as the target before they will work. In NWN 1 this happened automatically as soon as you selected that spell to cast and made magic duels a much more fluid mashing of hotkeys and clicking.

You will find some of the rule changes from 3 (NWN1) to 3.5 DnD (NWN@) to be the most telling. Knockdown does not deal damage and cannot be used more than once per 2 rounds, and requires an opposing strength check (nwn2 has no discipline skill). Haste no longer doubles spellcasting speed: one must take and/or use Quicken metamagic to cast more than one spell per round. Some spells in NWN1 which were instant hit now require ranged touch attacks in order to afflict enemies with their effect (eg. Ray of Enfeeblement, Melf's Acid Arrow). Rangers and druids cannot use (actually, do not have!) Animal Empathy. The level cap is 30, not 40, so you will need to plan any prospective builds accordingly in addition to the 3-levels-in-each-class-by-level-20-rule (3b20) which is enforced by this server. And Automatic Quicken spell is so totally nerfed by Obsidian its not really worth taking (a feat you can only ever acquire at level 27+, and only covers one spell level each time it is selected, eg. 0-1; 0-2, 0-3 max).

Despite some of the above I didn't take long to learn the new rules and in the end it was totally worth it for all the new classes and races NWN2 brought to the game. The server has heaps of great content, beautifully created areas and an ever-progressing storyline. The server date started in 1345 DR on the Faerunian calendar I think and we're now up to 1351. So we've seen the transformation of the FAI from the Lord of Murder's citadel it once was, the Amn-Gate war of 1347 and this year looks like a doozy with the plague from Warlock's Crypt ravaging the city at the moment.

The RP on the server is selectively good, just keep in mind that it is a PG13 server which is aimed at catering to the tastes of both the powerbuild grinder type, as well as the dedicated RPer so you will find a mix of both. The RPers on the server I think to be excellent quality, though. Hells I abandoned the far more aesthetically pleasing Neverwinter Online MMO to come back to this server last year! Oh, we also have a functioning Underdark if that kind of RP setting is your thing too, although the bulk of the player base is on the surface.

If you can't decide now, wait until GOG puts NWN2 on special for $5 or whatever and give it a try then!

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:24 am 

Thank you all so much for your feedback!

BTW Underdark does sound very exciting being 3/4 through War of the Spider Queen.

Are there any essential (UI and otherwise) mods that I should know about? Not that I'll really need much, I think I'll play it safe and roll a human fighter/WM first off to get a feel for the server.

I'm sold! Looks like I'll be seeing you all serverside ASAP ;)

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:54 am 

Hi! I've been around the server for about two days and I've had a lot of fun with it. Met a few people and they were all really nice and had tons of great rp with them. Though I have played a lot of rpg videogames, and pretty new to D&D and even more to roleplaying as such. I'm fiarly familiar with some of the lore as I finished Baldur's Gate 1 a few weeks ago and I'm currently playing Baldur's Gate 2.

I'm playing in the server as a half-elf bard named Elvewyn Mars, and I've been lurking around in the guilds forum in order to join a guild, but I can't seem to decide which one! (And I also couldn't really tell how to join XD)

I sure hope to have a good time around, great community!

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:59 pm 

Well Met.
Over the past few weeks I've been thinking a lot about getting back into NWN 2. After going to GOG and grabbing a copy (still bummed I can't find my original copy) and familiarizing myself with the game, here I am. I've spent that last few days going through the forums and making sure I have all the info pertaining to the server in hand, as it were. It's been a while since I have explored a NWN PW (1 or 2). I'm looking forward to it.

I started playing tabletop RPGs right after the Dragonlance modules came out.

I started my PC DnD adventures with Menzoberranzan in 1995, and I've made my way through Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, Pflan, and Daggerdale to name a few of the places I've seen. Along with helping safeguard the Savage North during NWN reign as Online RPG supreme.

I have a few character concepts in mind. Not sure what I'm in the mood for yet. ;)
In the mean time I think I'll pop on the server and take a look around.

Fair Winds,
Dokx

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:21 pm 

Hi there. I’m a veteran DnD and NWN2 player. Story based player who enjoys intricate plots, adventure, puzzles, but I’m open minded. OOC forum posts make me uncomfortable so I’m keeping this short. Good to be here, I enjoy messages in my PM box, I’m happy to play a support role in your story or write you into my own. See you in game.

Important info: I don't do OOC in game. No offense intended.Want to be written in? PM a link to your bio. Be patient. I play when I can. I don't do loud mouths and I don't do jerks. If you don't like what I do, leave me alone and I'll return the favor. No offense meant. See you in game

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:36 pm 

i guess i should say hi, i got one character and most likely will stick to him i've always been a one character player just due to the fact i invest alot into one character and stick to it..

i started playing RPG's back with Icewind dale 2 and NWN1 didn't touch multiplayer till about 6 years ago and i've been jumping around servers

ooc and tell friendly/ i'm by no means a lore novice but i'm no expert i know enough just to get by.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:18 pm 

hi
i'm Birdmoon and please, forgive my very bad english : i'm french (yes i know : no one's perfect !)

i played RPG for long now, at the table of my living room with some friends and on PC games as well (Baldur's Gate, IWD, NWN, NWN2...)

i suppose i can enjoy with you if my english allows it : i can read well, but it's more difficult for me to "talk" (and mind : it's a bless that you can't hear me !)

See you in game

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:20 am 
Head DM

Welcome! :)

PVP Rules

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:15 am 

Birdmoon wrote:
hi
i'm Birdmoon and please, forgive my very bad english : i'm french (yes i know : no one's perfect !)

i played RPG for long now, at the table of my living room with some friends and on PC games as well (Baldur's Gate, IWD, NWN, NWN2...)

i suppose i can enjoy with you if my english allows it : i can read well, but it's more difficult for me to "talk" (and mind : it's a bless that you can't hear me !)

See you in game

When I started playing here, I barely knew english. Just from various videogames I played.

I'm sure it'll be a great learning experience for you to roleplay in english, and that your vocabulary will upgrade with time.

What I'd suggest you as a start would be to play a character with an accent. Then it would make sense to make a few mistakes. ....You could even find a teacher in-game like I did. And create roleplay around it! :)

Unread postPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 3:49 am 

Greetings,

I have been scouring through the forums while at work, because I have been seeking another outlet to scratch my RP itch. I have of course played DnD and would still be doing so if real life scheduling allowed. My main source of roleplay has been Ultima Online. I have played that game on and off for about 15 years or so. I have played several different shards until their untimely demise and history has repeated itself recently. The shard I was currently playing is not so much dying, but evolving into something different so I figured I would do the same. I had a few friends from the shard leave and told me they had found new homes on RP NWN servers so I figured I would look into it. I currently do not own a copy of NWN2, but that can easily be remedied with a few mouse clicks. The overall visuals of the game are defiantly superior to my previous outlet and from what I can tell the lore here is quite extensive and intriguing.

The character that I am wanting to bring over is one that I have played in the passed which is a Drow Rogue style character that followed Kiaransalee. He would use his blade of vengeance Orbb Caluss to remove the tongues of priestess that dared utter the name Lloth in his presence. I of course do not expect the RP take that path again, but you get the idea. My question is how is the Drow Community here? is it Matron/House driven?

So far I have been impressed and look forward to hearing your thoughts before I make any final decisions.

"I live where secrets hide and thrive where dangers dwell with blades concealed and sharpened well. For wealth and power I will break both lock and spell if I am taken by death's embrace I shall die well." - Riknueth Zotreth

Unread postPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:11 pm 

Hi Riknueth and welcome!

The Underdark city on the server is Sshamath, which is as opposed to all the typical drow settlements, a male wizard dominated city.

You have some information on Sshamath and the lore in Gloura's Wings forum area. It is good to read through, even if you feel comfortable with the drow lore yourself as there have been some server changes.
viewforum.php?f=18

The UD activity as of late has been very small, I am afraid to say. It comes and goes, some months ago it was pretty active. Not trying to discourage you! But you should be aware of that most people play on the surface and there are restrictions between travel between surface and UD. Starting out in the UD can be pretty tough too, as it is by default a more difficult environment and it is more difficult to find people to party up with.

If you have the determination, you can toughen it out... :lol: Having a surface character and a UD character works too, if you want to see what both "worlds" have to offer.

Telia Santraeger - Emotional sorceress.

Editor-in-Chief of The Herald & member of the White Mask Theater
Steward of Pathfinder Hall

Unread postPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:57 pm 

Thank you kindly!

I actually just found the lore thread referring to the Drow city and to find that males dominant the Underdark intrigues me. I would expect the realm of darkness to be uninviting and harsh for that is how Drow champions are sculpted. Now when you say "small" do mean that their is actually some activity or non-existent?

"I live where secrets hide and thrive where dangers dwell with blades concealed and sharpened well. For wealth and power I will break both lock and spell if I am taken by death's embrace I shall die well." - Riknueth Zotreth

Unread postPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:01 pm 

Greetings you beautiful people you!

Long time DnD/UO player, but first time NWN so I have been slowing learning the game mechanics. I enjoy moonlit walks, candlelight dinners and very adventurous women... I mean.. oh nevermind! I have roleplayed for a very long time take my character pretty much every where I go, because he is just soo much fun and hope to bring the same here! The character I will playing started off as a joke and became the most enjoyable character I have played. I wanted a thief and requested a name for him and someone suggested I name him Robby'o Monay jokingly. So in adherence to roleplay naming I called him Robert Oswald Monay, the most dashing thief sorcerer pirate to ever sail the seas! I look forward to sailing with some of you, thieving from most and every shenanigan I can get away with! *Cheshire catlike roguish grin*

"Let teachers, priests and philosophers brood over questions of reality and illusion. I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I plunder, and am content."

Unread postPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:02 am 

Welcome to the server, Monay! Hope you will enjoy it here :)

Telia Santraeger - Emotional sorceress.

Editor-in-Chief of The Herald & member of the White Mask Theater
Steward of Pathfinder Hall

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next