All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 579 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: RP-Critique/Support/Self Monitoring Club
Unread postPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:34 am 

Nomster wrote:
Because no one has asked for critique etc as of late..?

Can someone criticize Cromis?

He has stopped scowling so much, so I am getting a bit better! :P

Cleric of Hoar and Mentor to Squire Eleanor [Biography] [Theme]

"To live and let live is to die and forgive." [Journal]

Unread postPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:50 am 

:)

The problem with critiquing is paradoxical you don't want to come off as as rude (so it's best served cold through PMs). Usually a perfect way for someone to improve is to be as harshly constructive as possible in critiquing without coming off as a confidence killing coach (especially a baseball coach man those are the biggest jerks).

Good guys are such cliche clones, inevitably.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:22 am 

JUDGE ME!

Unread postPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:29 am 

I am back again. I am aware that a number of people like Reine as she is, but I am finding her character is increasingly oscillating between multiple states and I am losing focus.

Therefore, I am inviting critique so I can get her character a little more developed. I feel like she's becoming smarter than I originally intended and is becoming too invested in the political side of Baldurs Gate. She is meant to be a very focused and read character who is quite cynical but who has trouble understanding things. I feel my own understanding is beginning to bleed through a little too much in my haste to be part of the RP going on in large plots.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:52 am 
Substitute Admin

I love you all and think you're, each of you, amazing.

... it may not be helpful, but it's true?

Unread postPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:23 pm 

MopKnight wrote:
I am back again. I am aware that a number of people like Reine as she is, but I am finding her character is increasingly oscillating between multiple states and I am losing focus.

Therefore, I am inviting critique so I can get her character a little more developed. I feel like she's becoming smarter than I originally intended and is becoming too invested in the political side of Baldurs Gate. She is meant to be a very focused and read character who is quite cynical but who has trouble understanding things. I feel my own understanding is beginning to bleed through a little too much in my haste to be part of the RP going on in large plots.

I was at the Siege in Candlekeep with you. We were in the aid tents, tending the wounded. You did a great job RPing during that event. You were stalwart, direct and to the task at hand. If that is what you were going for, then bravo. Otherwise, I have not seen you at all.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:59 am 
Recognized Member of BGTSCC

Hello everyone!

I've been RPing my drow, Nymrath Urlbrak, for a little bit now, can anyone offer any constructive critique for improvement? Any recommendations for improvement will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:13 am 

I am not sure how to improve upon perfection TheKai. Your drow might not be as 'drow' as drow can be, but he is certainly as good as any player can play a drow and have fun with others. Secretive, social and charismatic. What more can a drow mage hope to be but powerful. =)

Deleniel Vanaer: Wood Elven Sor. . . cook.

If you put your foot in your mouth. . . don't start walking. . .

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:21 am 

I recently dipped into drow and illusion lore again. I dont know all your character details but i think you have still some to improve (not meaned to be negative).

You are a faern of the school of illusion, which is divided into Figment, Glamer, Pattern, Phantasm and Shadow. Ask yourself, which of them do you use in RP situations?

And constantly ask yourself, do I have an oppurtunity to plot against a PC or DM NPC? You can also plot to change someones perception (especially as illusion master), reputation, rank or simply for amusement. In good and bad ways.

Mayolin Auvrytyl
:Fahliel of Sshamath:

Ramon Manaq'tara
:Wizard Outcast:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:42 am 

Nachti wrote:
You are a faern of the school of illusion, which is divided into Figment, Glamer, Pattern, Phantasm and Shadow. Ask yourself, which of them do you use in RP situations?

hmmm...for some time now I have been paying attention to my play style, and I agree, I think I play more as an evoker than anything else :lol: But with this, could you give an example of how to use those in RP with other players? I would not wish to attempt something on another player that would lead to PvP (I know, I know I make the worst drow in that regard) but I have no restriction on using that style of RP on NPCs. My fear is I am not clever enough to play an illusionist...though without metagaming, I think I do have you all thinking our drow are "allies" I think :)

Nachti wrote:
And constantly ask yourself, do I have an oppurtunity to plot against a PC or DM NPC? You can also plot to change someones perception (especially as illusion master), reputation, rank or simply for amusement. In good and bad ways.

That's great advice. I think I could have done more in Silverfox's event with the illusionist school RP, but I was loathe to steal the spotlight from you from a player's perspective. I've been trying to look for ways to "get ahead" with my drow that doesn't requires me stomping on other drow, but maybe that's the nature of playing down their eh?

Empoweredfan wrote:
I am not sure how to improve upon perfection TheKai. Your drow might not be as 'drow' as drow can be, but he is certainly as good as any player can play a drow and have fun with others. Secretive, social and charismatic. What more can a drow mage hope to be but powerful. =)

You're too kind Emp :mrgreen: I do not play an evil drow, you're right. My drow is in love with magic, regardless of cost :D

Thank you both very much for taking the time. Im always open for more as well!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:16 am 

Having fully moved over and committed to their RP after retiring past characters, interested in Edmund and Elmer feedback, particularly around certain aspects in a am I getting across what I hope to with his RP check in. An inspiration for the character was the "Dumb is Good" trope (but not "Good is Dumb").

Is Ed too hard to understand OOCly? (still working on his dialect. He is supposed to seem uneducated, rural and not necessarily the sharpest tool in the shed, but not be unintelligible. Need to work on typos...).

Been trying to get across kind and friendly if awkward, particularly around intelligent people, non-humans and his "social betters". A bit gullible (rarely rolls against bluffs unless hugely unbelievable, he mostly just takes people at their word as an example), a tendency to be finger waggy about behavior he disapproves of, but generally pretty retiring against hostility or just confident people.

Elmer feedback too, he sort of has become an important part of the RP to me, sometimes as much as Edmund. Seeing the server through his eyes and trying to relate it with his forum journal entertains the heck outta me.

Comments, concerns? Most interested in RP improvement feedback. Is the intent mentioned above coming through in his RP?

Thanks!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:41 am 

I actually enjoyed my somewhat limited interaction with Ed. As a non human intelligent social better, he fell to my ploy to get alone with the lady and his speak wasn't OOCly hard to understand. From what I've seen of Elmer from a distance, you're not doing bad in that regard either. Now that I know he has a journal, I'll have to hop over and take a peak.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:44 am 

Quote:
I would not wish to attempt something on another player that would lead to PvP (I know, I know I make the worst drow in that regard).

You always get an RP out. If you still get into pvp use Shadow Door, i think it makes you invisible to PCs (while invisibility does not).

I rather avoid pvp too because the looser usually has no fun. Thats bad.

Quote:
My fear is I am not clever enough to play "a wizard"

Welcome to the club. :P

Quote:
I think I could have done more in Silverfox's event with the illusionist school RP, but I was loathe to steal the spotlight from you from a player's perspective. I've been trying to look for ways to "get ahead" with my drow that doesn't requires me stomping on other drow, but maybe that's the nature of playing down their eh?

Well, if you roleplay your character in debt you will make the event a greater experience for everyone. Just dont do it all the time or make them rely on your skills all the time.

Your school can truly shine when there is an open-minded DM present. Last day we assisted the goblins from the lake in defending themselves from oozes and gelantious cubes.
- A illusionist could have cast a phantasmal spell on one of the goblin, making him think that the one next to him was eaten by a gelantious cube, making him attack his friend (for evil fun).
- A illusionist could have created a goblin scream in the distance, making them all running down the corridor (for bringing them in safety or danger).
- A illusionist could have conjured a goblin's shadow to aid and strengthen their moral (for help).

Quote:
But with this, could you give an example of how to use those in RP with other players?

Any spell that does not influence a PC's Mind.
- Create a noise (figment) somewhere to distract a PC.
- Create a Illusion of a Sshamath's guard (shadow) and let it yell something from away (figment).
- With invisible and move silenty checks you can follow conversations which you shouldnt listen to.
- You can disguise yourself to be another person or race (glamer).
- You could make a natural terrain look, sound, and smell like some other sort of natural terrain (glamer).
- You could creaet an illusion of about everything, like a wall, a river or a blocked entrace (Figment).

But keep in mind Players will get a will save if they study it carefully or interact with it.

Mayolin Auvrytyl

Ramon Manaq'tara

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:51 pm 

Quote:
Any spell that does not influence a PC's Mind.
- Create a noise (figment) somewhere to distract a PC.
- Create a Illusion of a Sshamath's guard (shadow) and let it yell something from away (figment).
- With invisible and move silenty checks you can follow conversations which you shouldnt listen to.
- You can disguise yourself to be another person or race (glamer).
- You could make a natural terrain look, sound, and smell like some other sort of natural terrain (glamer).
- You could creaet an illusion of about everything, like a wall, a river or a blocked entrace (Figment).

Some interesting, and great examples there. Ill try a few approaches with some players to see how it's received IG. Whats a decent will save to set you think?

Quote:
Your school can truly shine when there is an open-minded DM present. Last day we assisted the goblins from the lake in defending themselves from oozes and gelantious cubes.
- A illusionist could have cast a phantasmal spell on one of the goblin, making him think that the one next to him was eaten by a gelantious cube, making him attack his friend (for evil fun).
- A illusionist could have created a goblin scream in the distance, making them all running down the corridor (for bringing them in safety or danger).
- A illusionist could have conjured a goblin's shadow to aid and strengthen their moral (for help).

I will attempt similar ones to these too and see how it goes next event. You hear that Silverfox? *cough, cough* :)

Thanks Nachti! All very good suggestions! Most require the cooperation of the other player to go along with it, so hopefully it works out. The UD seems to have exceptional RPers so I have faith! :)

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:48 pm 

Well, you rolled against the DC of the spell which the skull's aura was crafted. I suggest you go through the Illusion spelllist, compile the spells you want to use and calcucalte the spell's DC according to your character stats.

It might be best to tell your intentions to the DM so he can be prepared. But please dont overstress silverfox.

Note: You do great RP, its just the cherry on the cake we speak of ;) .

Mayolin Auvrytyl

Ramon Manaq'tara

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 579 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next