All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 579 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: RP-Critique/Support/Self Monitoring Club
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:58 pm 

Terri, I've known you a long time and have seen you from many angles as we've crossed paths over several different characters I've played, some you knew were mine, some you didn't.

I would say your RP is pretty good over all, and has improved as you have matured over your years spent here. You have obviously learned from other players and developed your style and your patience has grown, which is perhaps one of the most important aspects of quality RP. You actively try to involve other people in your groups and rp, which is very important too and a sign of mature rp.

That being said, (here comes the daggers) there this, drive to come out on top, that your character tends to exhibit that I think detracts from all of your better qualities. This is a common problem, as roleplaying games often give you the satisfaction of being at the center of the world, but when there are a few hundred other people involved no one gets to be A #1. I think this comes out the most when there is an event or a confrontation that involves Terri. Your characters almost disconnect from the situation like you are thinking more about the mechanics of what is about to happen rather than how your character would react to what she is perceiving. It's like you want the situation to go your way so badly that you forget that in the end, its the RP along the way that will really influence people, not the outcome.

Some tips:

- Really work on finding Terri's faults as a person and working them into your dynamic. Every character and person has flaws and they are what makes them so interesting and understandable to others. Emphasis on flaws and relying on others that compliment your flaws makes more dynamic RP and will draw people into your character and your stories.

- Focus less on the mechanics of the game and avoid discussing them ICly. Its a sloppy engine from almost a decade ago and its better to try and discuss things like respawn and area transitions as little as possible. (It can really kill the mood to hear people discussing how they killed the white dragon and other creatures on a daily or weekly basis for example.)

- Pick a few things your character is good at. Being knowledgeable about combat, diplomacy, thievery, the arcane, cooking, battle tactics, etc makes you difficult to interact with. Having key areas of expertise, and dramatic lack of knowledge in other areas makes your character seem more realistic and gives other people a purpose as well.

I make many of these observations from personal experience and have learned many of the same lessons I am trying to point out. You also command quite a bit of attention in your guild these days, especially from newer, impressionable players. I think if you really focus on your character and giving her depth and take a step back from angling for more power and influence in the game world it will not only improve your experience here, but will also set a really good example for all the people that have come to surround you and improve not only their RP, but the over all quality of RP on this server.

If anyone wants to throw some critique my way for current or past characters I ....welcome.... the scathing remarks I most assuredly deserve :)

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:45 pm 
BGTSCC Quality Control

That is a really helpful critique Arakes. I'm sure Darkcloud has a lot to gain from those words.

Has anyone the courage to offer something of similar rhetorical brilliance about my current main, Aeili? Let me first outline what I have tried to convey in terms of Aeili's character, perceptions and outlook:

- Aeili is a sun elf from a noble background but has abandoned most of her haughty heritage. Some vesitiges of it remain, such as using eloquent and elevated language and possessing a hatred for orcs (less so their half-spawn kin). She is suspicious of outsider-blood but has had two close outsider friends in the past (Valerius, tiefling, and Karen, air-genasai).

- Aeili was trained in a female-only magic college on Evermeet (Sisters of the Sun) at the behest of her father who is an enchanter, while also undergoing training for Sehanine's priesthood under the tutelage of her mother. She has a love for arcane and divine magic, as well as astrology.

- Aeili had only the one romantic encounter while on Evermeet which left her heartbroken. She has been very reserved in this area ever since.

- She received a vision from Mystra beckoning her to come to Faerun. She fought with her mother over the meaning of this vision since Sehanine beseeches elves to migrate from Faerun to Evermeet. This remains an unresolved conflict. Aeili left her homeland amidst the turmoil of King Zaor Moonflower's assassination by passing through a portal connecting with the Elven community of Evereska.

- I have not fully developed what happened between Aeili's arrival in Evereska and her passage to finally arrive in Baldur's Gate. A portion of this untold story involves her surname Azenci which is clearly not Elven.

- Neither have I developed the full meaning of her arcane tattoos across her forehead. Her cheek (upper cheek, just below the eyes) tattoos I RP as having been given in childhood as a sign of her committment to Corellon, Elven god of magic, and Sehanine Moonbow.

- Aeili's character was shaped early by exposure to the now-defunct Weavemasters guild, for whom she became the chaplain. This was some 5 years ago!

- Aeili left for Waterdeep and spend 3.5 years there (indicative of player hiatus from this server for that time). She returned to BG with a resentment for Red Wizards after the Mystran temple in Waterdeep and its leader, Meleghost Starseer, starting becoming chummy with the Red Wizard enclave.

- Aeili's alignment is Lawful Good, but of late I have been leaning heavily towards Lawful Neutral. Has that been noticeable?

- Her knowledge extends to the following and I attempt to RP such:

Profession: Astrologer (indicated by ranks in Sense Motive)
Knowledge: Local (Leuthilspar, Taltempla, Evereska, Waterdeep, Baldur's Gate)
Knowledge: Regional (Evermeet)
Knowledge: History (esp. Elvish and magic, including ancient languages of Netherese and Loross)
Knowledge: Alchemy
Knowledge: Arcana (esp. the schools of divination and enchantment)
Knowledge: Religion (Elven pantheon; Magic Deities esp. Mystra, Savras, Deneir, Azuth; slowly growing knowledge of Human religion esp. Ilmater, Helm, Sune, Tymora and Waukeen. She has some knowledge of Shar, Bane and Bhaal simply by association with the Temple of Mystra).
Knowledge: The Planes (especially Celesial, Infernal and Abyssal abodes)
Knowledge: Nature (insofar as it pertains to Elven cultural exposure)
Spellcraft.

Outside of these I have attempted at having little to no knowledge and would appreciate feedback in these areas. I am really trying hard at not playing a know-it-all, despite Aeili being both an arcane diviner and a cleric with the knowledge domain.

I would really appreciate some feedback about my progress and ways I can improve!

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:37 pm 
Retired Head DM

So truth be told, I don't consider myself the strongest RPer. I think a LOT of players have the ability to become more immersed and detail-oriented than me. You're one of them (so is pretty much everyone else in this thread, lol).

What I am trying to say is, I think you RP Aeili very well. I honestly cannot think of any way you can improve. You play a knowledgeable wizard without coming off as a know-it-all. Aeili's published literature goes a long way towards establishing her knowledge in her specified areas. You are careful to not RP knowledge of other areas (example: you had to travel to find out anything about another school of magic). And Aeili's tolerance for "non-undead" necromancy indeed conveys a Lawful Neutral leaning. Aeili comes off as a pretty complete Mystran priestess to me. Sorry I can't be more helpful. :/

I should be asking you guys how I could improve my RP. But because I am a wimp, I won't. >_>;

. . . Ah, what the heck, I'll ask anyways. I play Charraj and Maria. They're pretty different in terms of personality. Here's what I am trying to convey with both of them:

I think Charraj used to be quite whimsical, but he has made mistakes that have made him much more careful, hesitant, and uptight. Several brushes with death have scared him away from adventuring, as well. However, he is still Chaotic Good on his character sheet, and I try to have that show through somehow, usually in his interactions and conversations with people. When it comes to things unrelated to magic, I think he would still be willing to break the rules. However, his adherence to his interpretation of Mystra's dogma strikes me as Lawful behavior. Not sure how to keep up being Chaotic while following a deity's Mystra's dogma. Advice would be appreciated.

Maria is kind of a typical bodyguard searching for work. She's pretty no-nonsense and business-like. She distrusts magic, but has been working to improve her abilities to cope with magic. My concern with RPing her is that she comes off as pretty bland. But that might just be her personality, something that can't be helped.

If you guys can think of anything else I could work on, please let me know. Again, I know I am not the strongest RPer. Let me have it!

Last edited by Charraj on Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:55 pm 

Darkcloud777 - I think Arakes99 wrote very well. I have always thought the guilds you have been part in leading have been very good for the server, as you welcome a quite random array of characters and players. It also has seemed to me that you are good with getting new players involved.

Aeili - I love your cleric-wizard RP! I always enjoy encountering well played priests. The amount of work you have done for the books related to Mystra... Aeili has been a very important character for my own, in counselling and just being there. I think Aeili is still leaning quite heavily towards "good". I just may not have noticed the neutral things? I like that Aeili has a bit of an emotional side. To me, it seems to fight a bit with her usual composure and that struggle is interesting.

Charraj - I have unfortunately not interacted much with your characters but when it comes to chaotic alignments and following dogmas, there ARE chaotic deities with chaotic followers! Their priests still have to follow the dogmas. So a chaotic character most certainly -can- follow a dogma. A chaotic alignment does not have to mean chaotic in everything. Not sure how you let Charraj's chaotic nature show but it can just be some unpredictability in his actions. My own character is neutral with chaotic tendencies. She strives to follow Mystra's teachings but sometimes her emotions and temper gets the better of her. And sometimes, she just likes to show off with magic...

Telia Santraeger - Emotional sorceress.

Editor-in-Chief of The Herald & member of the White Mask Theater
Steward of Pathfinder Hall

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:19 am 

Further to what was said earlier and further to a discussion I had with Sveta :)

I decided to codify Reine's understanding of what she knows in her biography. I always had it in my head that I was playing a reasonably smart character, but wanted to make it clear what it is she knows and what her reasons for knowing it are. Hopefully this will help people understand why she says some of the things she does.

I also want to play up some of her more blonde moments. Especially seeing as she nearly fell asleep at the meeting last night.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:43 am 

As I said today, I do think that Terri is my favourite enemy. And that we have managed to keep this carried on hate for one another this long amazes me too! But I agree about the weakNess thing, it does employ some humanity about a character.

Aeili, I think she is a very stubborn character, that could be from her history. But I guess vali seen the stubborn side and Tegan saw the friendly side of her. It was always been wonderful and I can't wait to come back I a year and see how much different she will be.

Does anyone want to give me some advice on Vali and or Tegan, I'll stock pile it for my next character haha.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:09 am 
BGTSCC Quality Control

Thank you for the valuable feedback. It is encouraging to know that one's character is more or less on track as to how I want her portrayed.

Charraj: nothing needs to be said. Charraj is Charraj and that does not need comment, criticism or change! It has been interesting to watch his slowly changing attitude towards magic over the last year or so, but I think you nail CG (with neutral tendencies) with Charraj's drag-his-feet-through-the-mud-before-i-help-you-but-dont-ask-me-to-cast-spells-oh-crap-run-to-Kara-Tur-before-we-all-perish attitude.

I don't know Maria well enough to make any judgement there, and same for Vali and Tegan (I blame time zone differences).

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:28 am 

I've met Vali and Tegan a few times, though I don't know Vali that well. Tegan seems like a nice and genuine good person, and I think you player her very well. She's pretty memorable, I remember a few months ago she offered a flower to my dour Doombringer, it was touching.

I've tried to start writing a daily journal entry about what RP Cromis has had, and writing more chapters to his biography to solidify his backstory. Does anyone that's taken the time to read them have criticism to offer?

Cleric of Hoar and Mentor to Squire Eleanor [Biography] [Theme]

"To live and let live is to die and forgive." [Journal]

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:06 am 

Vali is a nice lady.. who has come into contact with rude cheating men. My only criticism of Cromis... from the times I've seen him is action is he scowls too much. It's kind of annoying. I have nothing more. :)

Good guys are such cliche clones, inevitably.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:11 am 
Retired Head DM

Nomster wrote:
Not sure how you let Charraj's chaotic nature show but it can just be some unpredictability in his actions.

I was thinking of this advice when I decided to bring out the Masked Fisherman. Did it work? :D :?

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:17 pm 

I would actually like a commentary on Arakes now that I have been reading this thread, if anyone would care to give one.

I don't have an official bio written on him but I keep one in my head and he's got years of backstory but I will give a brief overview here. He was born in Athkatla to a poor dock worker who was often involved in less than legal side jobs to put food on the table.

He lived a pretty rough childhood with his brother and provided for himself through bardic talents he developed on his own or picked up from others and through petty crimes. When he was older he began working as a mercenary and had proper military training during this time, though he used his existing bardic talents to make up for the fact that he had not trained long, which made him rather successful at the business.

It was during this time that he came to the Baldur's Gate area getting involved down in Nashkel as a mercenary with pretty loose morals. He's Chaotic Neutral and self serving by nature with a quick temper and in his earlier years on the coast this showed. It wasn't long before he and his brother got himself into trouble because of their shady and violent activities and Arakes ended up leaving the coast in disgrace for many years. During this time he drank himself into oblivion along the edge of the Anauroch desert where his remaining coin would stretch a bit further and where he would run into no one from his past.

During his time in the desert he completely neglected his skills as a bard and lost much of his prior talent, but one day he ended up picking a fight with a bedoiun swordsman, a dervish, who beat him so badly that it caused him to throw his shield to the ground and leave it there and to follow the bedoiun, begging the man to train him in exchange for items and money. Arakes spent years training as a swordsmaster and dervish after this and completely left behind his magical talents in favor of working on his martial skills though he is still a talented performer in his own right. After a few years of training and sobriety he decided to come back to the coast to try and pick up the pieces of the life he had lost. He's older now, 37 and calmer, having lost much of his previous temper. He has also developed a strong sense of regret and morality, though his sense of morality is probably not common in its standards. He does his best to make up for whatever crimes he had commited in the past, although he feels slighted and deeply wronged by the events that led to his exile, he still acknowledges that he has done wrong and must strive to right.

Hopefully this brings some understanding to the character if you have interacted with him. Although I have intentionally left things vague as I don't like to spoil some of his better stories for those of you that might hear them in game.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:35 pm 

Charraj wrote:
Nomster wrote:
Not sure how you let Charraj's chaotic nature show but it can just be some unpredictability in his actions.

I was thinking of this advice when I decided to bring out the Masked Fisherman. Did it work? :D :?

It was hilarious, is what it was :lol:

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

Unread postPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:32 am 

Great. This topic is uesful, thank for sharing. :)

Unread postPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:18 pm 

why this topic is silent ?

Unread postPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:33 am 

Because no one has asked for critique etc as of late..?

Telia Santraeger - Emotional sorceress.

Editor-in-Chief of The Herald & member of the White Mask Theater
Steward of Pathfinder Hall

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 579 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 39  Next