All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Common Courtesy and Basic Human Decency
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:33 am 
Substitute Admin

Unfortunately, there have been complaints about racist and otherwise offensive comments here on the forums, in-game on the server, and in-game on the GameSpy chat.

I am utterly embarrassed to have to point out that this is not O.K.

I honestly do not feel that our community has hate-driven individuals playing here. I like to believe that most of us are pretty good people: Connected by our common interests and driven by our desire to enjoy a collaborative story, peopled by our many characters. In fact, I like to believe that the comments eliciting these complaints were supposed to be ironically funny, not insulting ...

But while I understand and appreciate the fact that a lot of our players enjoy black comedy -- with many of them coming from high-stress occupations, where dark humor is commonplace, and others simply "veterans of the Internet" -- this sort of humor is to be shared among close friends, not among a community of mixed players, where not everyone will realize it when you are being ironic.

It truly saddens me when individuals say or do hateful or hurtful things to one another, intentionally or otherwise. So please show common courtesy and basic human decency in all of the interactions you have here, and try to remember that not everyone will find humor in your pushing the envelope of good taste.

I know we're a very big family here at Baldur's Gate, and I know that we sometimes throw elbows or disagree with each other about the server's goals, players, and staff: But we're a family all the same. Let's all try to remember that.

Because this thread is not meant for discussion, it will be locked. Any comments you feel you must voice should be taken to PMs.

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Common Courtesy and Basic Human Decency
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:05 pm 
Server Mum

Just reminding everyone this is here.

I think the rules have been available long enough, and we all have better things to do with our time than try to make each other miserable. The rules are plainly posted here: Subject: Forum Rules

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. Practice a little courtesy and tact, and I think everyone will find this a much more productive and cheery place. We are a community of players who share a common love for a game. Let's please stop picking apart eachother's differences and taking stabs at one another.

If you simply must say something unkind or carry on some sort of debate, constructive or otherwise that does not conform to the Forum Posting Rules, please utilize some other platform, be it whatever form of communication you choose. The constant picking has no place here on these forums, which are more or less here as a convenience and kindness to this persistent world's player base.

I don't want apology PMs or justification PMs, I am simply asking that you take a moment to consider what you are saying before you hit the 'submit' button when making a post. Please.

Thank you,
Mum

"Even Echoes fade to silence."

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]